Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Deuteronomy 17-20

Insight into Scripture
Witchcraft was the illegitimate use of magic. For a price, they would provide means to harm or destroy an enemy. All of the forms of witchcraft, mediums, and spiritist were trying to circumvent our God.
Warfare was considered a religious enterprise, so it was expected that priests and other religious functionaries would accompany the army.
A soldier was not paid a wage, instead they were given a portion of the loot taken in the capture of villages and towns.

Good Morning!
It looks like the weather has settled down this week. If someone can post on the blog how they are recovering from the tornados, It would appreciated.If you have not had a chance to visit our blog, please do so. Beyond answering the trivia questions, it is a safe place to jot down your thoughts. I love reading your insights.

Scripture Reading
Deuteronomy 17:2-5 ESV2
"If there is found among you, within any of your towns that the LORD your God is giving you, a man or woman who does what is evil in the sight of the LORD your God, in transgressing his covenant, 3 and has gone and served other gods and worshiped them, or the sun or the moon or any of the host of heaven, which I have forbidden, 4 and it is told you and you hear of it, then you shall inquire diligently, and if it is true and certain that such an abomination has been done in Israel, 5 then you shall bring out to your gates that man or woman who has done this evil thing, and you shall stone that man or woman to death with stones.
Thought for the DayYou may read this many times in the Old Testament. Man breaks one of God's covenants, and is put to death. PERIOD. God does not say, OK..... well..... take him behind the tabernacle and tell him that I am really mad. Or maybe, God could say; sacrifice 2 rams and 1 bull and we will call it good. No, death was the punishment. Why?
Two thoughts come to mind, both complement each other. We are a weak people, with a faith that can be shaken easily. Christ compared our faith to a mustard seed, Christ said that if our faith was as large as a mustard seed, we could move mountains. Have you ever seen a mustard seed? Good comparison. Yes, for the most part we are weak, we need to see, touch, and smell something to believe it. So, when something earthly; like money comes along we put our faith in that.
Second, because we are so weak, "A little yeast destroys the dough". One bad person becomes two, two become four, four become sixteen....... you get the picture. God knows this, so to protect us He needed to "Purge" that evil person.
I would examine your faith, is it the size of a atom, or is it close to a mustard seed? Are you easily shaken, if so why? What do you need to do to get your faith to that of an Oak Tree; unshakeable?
I am so thankful that Jesus took the place for us, so God does not require us to be stoned anymore. But, stop and think, I do not believe that God has changed, yes, Christ conquered death, but I believe Gods' feelings are the same; He is a jealous God. How many times do you bow down to your high def TV? Or bow down to the almighty XBOX? Maybe you are bowing down to many George Washington's??? What are your idols?
Closing PrayerDear JesusThank you for paying the price for my salvation. Thank you for your grace and mercy upon us. Lord, I want you to be the center of my life, I want to make you the priority of my each and every day. Please show me Lord the areas of my life that need to be worked on. Help me cast out all of the unwanted idols in my life. I love you Jesus!
In Your Name I pray,
Amen

Bible Trivia
The book of Job relates how....
a) To get a good job.
b) God protects and rewards those who love Him.
c) To cover up those ugly sores.
d) Friends help out when the going gets tough.

Hint - Job 42:12-17

3 comments:

A-Granny-r4 said...

Job 42:13-17
Is the last 4 vs of the book of Job. These passages reveal that Jobs family had been restored and his wealth. We see the wealth in that his children and brethren had inheritance. You can also see that he had recieved long life.

These blessing would not have come to Job but for one reason and that would be the answer to the trivia question:

b) God protects and rewards those who love Him.

Now that I answered question can I ramble ha ha ha.

Once again doing the trivia reveals much more. As soon as I read vs. 13 I knew I was in for a study. For some reason the number 3 and 7 have been popping up alot lately not only here but I have received a call needing meanings of these. THREE - purpose, Gods will and SEVEN - totality of His completion.

Looking up the names of children given in Vs. 14 leads to more study:

Jemima- Son, day by day

Kezia- Daughter (derived from Cassie), A spice, like cinnamon

Kerenhappuch- daughter, horn of antinomy. define. of antinomy: an unresolvable conflict or contradiction (ex. of antinomies beauty and evil.) Look at what is said about daughter and beauty in vs. 15

Now we come to Inheritance in vs 15- If we read in Numbers 27:8-11 the law of inheritance is given. Why would this be important? Look where BRETHREN is found in the line, and Job's brethren received interitance along with son's and daughters.

In vs.16 we see Job has longivity of LIFE after coming near deaths door and not turning from God. He was able to tell of Gods faithfulness and love to 4 generations.

I have grown up hearing teaching on the the Story of Job and all the trials. It was not until this morning that I saw for myself something more was found in the last 5 vs. of the book. I would love to go into details of all that I have seen above but that would be to long,(as if I have not already been.) I hope Your appetite has been wet enough that you will want and allow God to reveal to you more of His word than what is read on the surface.

IN CHRIST
Ecc.3
Donna / agranny3

Unknown said...

Job is a very interesting book. I love the first chapter where God asks satan what he was doing. Look at satans reply.

A-Granny-r4 said...

Job 1:7
And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

This question is not that God is ignorant of the place from whence he (satan) came; for the omniscient God knows all persons and things, men and angels, and these good and bad, where they are, from where they come, and what they do, see (Genesis 3:9) (4:9.) In these two we see same question. I truly believe this could be away of God giving every opportunity to all to bow to HIM and acknowledge His Sovernity.

In verse 7 - going to and fro--rather, "hurrying rapidly to and fro."is the original idea in Arabic is the heat of haste (Matthew 12:43, 1 Peter 5:8). Satan seems to have had some peculiar connection with this earth.
Man succeeded to the vices(Genesis 1:26, Psalms 8:6). Man then lost it and Satan became prince of this world. The Son of man (Psalms 8:4)--the representative man, regains the forfeited inheritance (Revelation 11:15).

Well once again I am sure I have wrote to much, But I just love to get wrapped up in searches and running to a fro through Gods Word.