Friday, March 2, 2007

Deuteronomy 3-4

Insight Into the Scriptures
As you start to read these next chapters, you may think to yourself that this sounds like a repeat of Numbers. Remember that Moses is telling a new generation of Israelites of their failures and their success.

Good Morning~
I hope that you have survived the wild weather around the country. Let's all take a moment today and say a little prayer for everyone that has been effected by the weather or lost a loved one by those tornados. I came across a nice verse in chapter 4:29- 31"But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul. When you are in distress and all these things have happened to you, then in later days you will return to the LORD your God and obey him. For the LORD your God is a merciful God; he will not abandon or destroy you or forget the covenant with your forefathers, which he confirmed to them by oath."

View March's Reading Schedule


Scripture Reading
Deuteronomy 3:23-27
23"And I pleaded with the LORD at that time, saying, 24'O Lord GOD, you have only begun to show your servant your greatness and your mighty hand. For what god is there in heaven or on earth who can do such works and mighty acts as yours? 25Please let me go over and see the good land beyond the Jordan, that good hill country and Lebanon.' 26But the LORD was angry with me because of you and would not listen to me. And the LORD said to me, 'Enough from you; do not speak to me of this matter again. 27Go up to the top of Pisgah and lift up your eyes westward and northward and southward and eastward, and look at it with your eyes, for you shall not go over this Jordan.

Thought for the Day
I always thought when God told Moses, "No, Moses you are not going to enter into the Promised Land". Moses just let it go, he accepted God's plan was for him. But, as I read this passage of scripture, I could really feel Moses frustration.... sadness maybe. The text states that Moses pleaded with God, Moses even tried to "Butter Him Up" by telling God how mighty He was.

But, God responded very sternly. He tells Moses "That is ENOUGH! I do not want to talk about this again". (This leads me to believe that this was not the first time God had heard this plea)

Put yourselves in Moses shoes, you have been promised something, you have been pursuing it for 40 years. Sometimes, it was the only thing keeping you going, knowing that this amazing "thing" awaited you. Then when you finally can see it, almost touch it, maybe even smell it, you lose it, it is gone. How would you react? I think that I might be angry.

Moses had a choice like we do. He could get angry at God and let it effect their relationship, or, he could not agree with it, but accept God's will for his life. Life is like that, you will receive alot of blessings in your life, but, God is not always going to give you want you want, and He may even take a few things away from you. We must always trust God, we may not like it, but it must not come in between out relationship with Christ.

Closing Prayer
My Heavenly Father,I am reminded today that you are a God that gives and takes away. Lord, my prayer today is to help me be a better Christian. Let me be faithful in the good time and the bad, in the abundant time and the scarce times.Lord, I also want to take a minute to remember the families that were effected the the weather yesterday. Please be with them and comfort them, wrap your arms around them and let them know all is going to be OK.
In Your Name I pray,
Amen

Bible Trivia
What was Ruth doing the first time she saw Boaz, the man she would marry?

Hint - Ruth 2:2-8

3 comments:

A-Granny-r4 said...

Well Ruth was out in the field gleaning the corn, this does not mean the first cut corn, it was what no one else wanted or that which is culled. This is a practice that you can find in several places of the bible: (Amp. Leviticus 19:10 23:22.

I have to let you know that the story that this trivia comes from touched my life many years ago and still continues today. I find it hard to talk and even write on this one without tears. There is so much in this story than one can GLEAN. If you can read in between the lines in my opening you can get alot from that.

There is one little word found in vs.3 "hap" it is an overlooked little word, the meaning: chance, fortune, lot, luck. Ruth knew the field in which she was going but not the portion and or who owned that. ( It was by happen chance ) as we would say today. The vs. before vs.2 shows that she knew that she would find grace (favor)for her gleaning. God only revealed a part of what Ruth had to do He then directed her path to the exact location to where she could recieve the rest off God's blessings.

Verse 7 can be seen today in many a christians walk. So many of us are only gleaning from what God offers when He has so much more for us to be blessed with and I don't mean this materialistic, even though He will do that.

I will close with trying to tell you how this story has impacted my life. In growing up several spiritual women came into my life. Several I thought of as a Mom, I had a biological Mom, and she was a Christian, but not living to the fullness. These other ladies impacted my life and many times I thought of Naomi and Ruth, I so wanted them to be Naomi and me Ruth....that did not happen.
My son grew to marry a young lady that came to be saved and as she grew in the Lord her Mom began giving her a hard time. One night after praying with her in a home group, she and I found ourselve hugged up and crying together. Would you know as God would have it something was brought up about settling for things in life and spiritually. One thing lead to another and the story of Ruth and Naomi came up and Ruth gleaning. I suddenly felt the gentle touch of God and he showed me that it was never meant for me to be Ruth but Naomi. How humbled I was. My Daughter-In-Law and I are still close. With time things have gotten better with her and her Mom and I am so happy. I hope this is understandable without me re-reading cause I don't think I can.

IN CHRIST
Ecc.3
Donna

Anonymous said...

Hi Donaa,
I think I know what you are talking about. Alot of times we have in our mind what WE want to be or do, but, God has different plans for us. We need to be able to set aside OUR plans and accept the Lord's plan for our life.

A-Granny-r4 said...

That was put very well, brother Jim. I hope you are feeling well today. I will take this opportunity to post one more note.

Ruth humbly thought of herself unworthy of favours, knowing she was born and brought up a heathen. It would be good for us all to think humbly of ourselves, esteeming others.

And let us, in the kindness of Boaz to Ruth, note the kindness of the Jesus to sinners. (Ru 2:17-23)