Thursday, May 10, 2007

1 Chronicles 1-2

MY Burden is Light - 1 Chronicles 1-2
Insight Into Scripture
Today we start 1 Chronicles. Chronicles were written around 430 BC, and was written by Ezra. The books were written to the people of Israel.The first 9 chapters are alot of genealogy. This is done to record the names in history, but also so we can trace back Jesus' roots.

Bringing the Bible Alive
As we start into Chronicles you might think that you have JUST read the same stores in 2 Samuel and Kings; you are right. But, in 2 Samuel and Kings the stories are written from a political standpoint. Chronicles are written from a spiritual perspective. I guess it is like reading all the 4 gospels, each one has something different to offer, we need to look for the spiritual message and what Christ is telling us.

Scripture Reading
25 "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? - Matthew 6:25
34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. - Matthew 6:34
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." - Matthew 11:30 - NIV

Thought for the Day
Yes, there are some parts of the Bible that are a little dry. Today, although very important, tracing the genealogy back to Adam can be..... well...... dry. So, I thought that I would share what has been on my mind lately.
I have been meditating on the verses above lately. We own our own business, there are some wonderful benefits, but there are some drawbacks. You do not have a weekly pay check handed to you. You have to drive and make your business work. In my other jobs, even if it was a bad time for the company, I still received a paycheck.
I worry about providing for my family (Actually, I do not provide, HE does) but, I think that I have to. It is not like I do not work, I am just the opposite, I have to be dragged away from the computer sometimes. I am working on TRUSTING that GOD will provide for us every month, it is hard for me. The funny thing is is that HE has provided EVERY month, HE has never let me down, but, me being so human......... I worry.
Maybe you can identify with me, maybe not with work issues, but you find yourself worrying about other situations? Money, friends, school, health, you name it. You see, Christ tells us that His yoke is easy and His burden is light OR living a life in Christ is living a worry free life. He planned and wants it that way. Why do we have such a hard time accepting that?
Christ tells us in Matthew 6 that our lives are much more important than the birds, Christ knows every time one falls from the sky. If He cares for those little birds, He IS going to care for you and take care of your needs. Christ wants us to take all the time that we worry about the little things and spend that time worrying about Him.
I know it is hard to give those worries to Christ, but, I am stepping out and taking my light yoke and easy burden Christ promises. How about you?
On a side note..... to help increase my faith, last month I increased our tithing from 10% to 15%. I was stressing! But, guess what....... we had the best month this year, and made the most profit ever......hmmmm.

Closing Prayer
Dear Jesus
Father thank You for always offering to take the yoke. I pray Father that I continue to step in that journey, of trusting You, and only You. Help me to be strong and not focus on what MAY lie ahead and to know that whatever does lie ahead, You are all over it!
I love You and I pray in Your Name, Amen.

3 comments:

A-Granny-r4 said...

Let me start this by saying that I am no different than anyone else. I to have most all my life tried to skip over this. As I have learned to study with the knowledge that every little word in the Bible is significant, it has become more of a challenge to see just why something that seems so unimportant or boring is included in the Bible. So a treasure hunt will begin. Sometimes treasures are found fast others take some searching but when found are always truly a rare treasure.

How often do we come to someone’s name in the Bible and pass lightly over it, and never knowing that we could possibly be missing an important fact and or a blessing. Names have and still today in most cultures are very important. We all have a name, most have first, middle,last names, and many have nick names. I am sure that you have several names or titles which those who know you call you and each are important to you and are dear.

In Old Testament times Names were very important. Each name we find given in the scripture from the Old Testament usually has a meaning behind the name. In many cases they are prophetic to future events of their life. The same is also true of the New Testament.

I found a study that used the Name of Jesus to bring out a good point, it used the name of Jesus. His name is from the Hebrew name Jehovah Saviour. And is from the Hebrew name Joshua. In the Bible there are over 350 names given to Jesus. Each of these names are very descriptive to an attribute of Jesus. I feel there is no way couple of names could describe Him in His glory, in His ministry, in His life, and death, and of course in His resurrection.

To further bring home how I finally got through the genealogy thing I will just take out a few names and give meanings.

The firs I will use will be the first:
1) Adam is from the Hebrew word "aw-dawm" and the definition of this name is, "earthy, red" he was created from the dust of the ground, some scholors say from the clay. So from now on when you here the name Adam: something that comes to mind often when I see this is that that the earth Adam was created from was meant to be a blessed place for him but due to his sin became a cursed and he had to toil on it the rest of his life.

2) Sheth, or from the HHebrew "shayth" means: "put who puts - fixed." As pointed out in our devotional from Jim, the list of names points us to Jesus. Sheth was the first born human that started the linage of Jesus. Yes we know the first son born on earth was Cain but remember Cain killed the second child Able, and then Sheth took the lead for the linage of Christ. His name is first found in Genesia 4:25 "And Adam knew his wife again; and she bare a son, and called his name Seth: For God, said she, hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew. The two spellings Sheth, and Seth are one and the same for this son of Adam.

3) Enoch, (Henoch, is "Chanowk" in the Hebrew and it is the same as Enoch) The name Enoch means: dedicated, disciplined. In the Genesis account this is what is told of this man. Enoch begat Methuselah: And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters: And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years: And Enoch walked with God.

The New Testament has something to say about Enoch Hebrews and Jude.
Hebrews 11:5 - "By faith Enoch was TRANSLATED that he should NOT SEE DEATH and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, THAT HE PLEASED GOD."

Jude 14, "And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints," Enoch was a man of faith, and Enoch was a prophet of God, He was one of the first to tell of the second coming of Christ in glory. He was also the father of the person who lived the longest upon this earth until now. Important name in Henoch.
( notice the number mentioned SEVENTH )

Lamech and Methuselah the next two along with Enoch were listed in the Chronicle to teach us about the Word of God, our history from God’s view point and to point us to God’s Son Jesus.

4) Moving down a little the names:
A. Gomer, The first grandson of Noah. This name from the Hebrew means, completion.
B.Magog, this name from the Hebrew is "Magowg" maw-gogue’ and it’s meaning is, "covering; roof; dissolving.

I will end with these two names and share one last thought that they gave me.

I went back to look at thier Father Japheth and their uncles Shem, Ham. Something that is overlooked here is that the Chronicle list these three from last to first. The order of their branch in the genealogical tree begins Japheth, then Ham, then Shem. This should provoke you to say WHY?

There is a word SONS in these verses it is the word for "Builders of the family name." These three sons of Noah were preserved by the Lord to re start mankind. In looking at how the world develops after the flood and sin starts to show. These three have to be responsible since it is through them life starts anew. They had no wicked influences of unbelievers around them. Did it do them any good? Not hardly! They influence of sinners before the flood, and that was carried through and after the flood. How do you think that we have sin among us today? It was passed down from these families. God loves Us so much that His Grace overcomes our sin constantly through His Jesus Christ.

IN CHRIST
Ecc.3
Donna

A-Granny-r4 said...

Bible Trivia
Jesus said, "Heaven and earth will pass away...." but what two-word answer would not?

ANSWER: my word

Matthew 24:35 (King James)
35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

I want to leave this trivia with the way the Message Bible reads:

32-35"Take a lesson from the fig tree. From the moment you notice its buds form, the merest hint of green, you know summer's just around the corner. So it is with you: When you see all these things, you'll know he's at the door. Don't take this lightly. I'm not just saying this for some future generation, but for all of you. This age continues until all these things take place. Sky and earth will wear out; my words won't wear out.

Anonymous said...

I also found it interesting to take Jesus and trace back HIS line all the way back to Adam. It is neat to read about the people in HIS line. There were some good kings and some kings that were not good.