Sunday, June 17, 2007

Job 13-16


Is GOD Angry at Me?- Job 13-16

Insight Into Scripture
Good Morning! I am so glad that you have taken time out of your busy morning to join us. So, how are you enjoying Job? When I first read Job the beginning and the last part were very interesting, but the middle was a little dry. So let me give you a little insight to the entire book.
Job becomes very sick and looses everything. He then has his friends come to his side and comfort him. His friends were doing a great job until they started to speak. Instead of being supportive, they are very accusing and do anything but comfort Job. The ending of Job is one of my favorite parts of the Bible, but you will have to wait until we read it. :)
Starting in chapter 4 there are 3 cycles of speeches by Job's friends. Each time one speaks, Job replies. Each on of these speeches are a different thought or theology, so it helps to read that persons thought in it's entirety. The ESV translation is nice as it gives the theme of the chapter.

Bringing the Bible Alive
Chapter 12 starts Job's 3rd speech, the point Job is trying to make in this chapter, is that the LORD has done this to me. But, in chapter 13 Job changes gears and claims that there is still hope in GOD. Chapter 14, Job acknowledges that death does come to us all.
Chapter 15 starts the second round of speeches. Eliphaz starts again, and claims that Job does not fear GOD, that is why he is sick.
Job then responds to Eliphaz in chapter 16, this is Job's 4th speech. Can you pick up on Job's frustration in his voice. He tells his friends that they are "Miserable comforters" and takes a shot and asks how long are your "Long-winded" speeches going to last?

Scripture
For the arrows of the Almighty are in me;my spirit drinks their poison;
the terrors of God are arrayed against me. (6:4)
If I sin, what do I do to you, you watcher of mankind?
Why have you made me your mark?
Why have I become a burden to you? (7:20)
If I summoned him and he answered me,
I would not believe that he was listening to my voice.
For he crushes me with a tempest
and multiplies my wounds without cause; (9:1-17)
There is no arbiter between us,
who might lay his hand on us both.
Let him take his rod away from me,
and let not dread of him terrify me. (9:33-34)
withdraw your hand far from me,
and let not dread of you terrify me. (13:21)
Oh that you would hide me in Sheol,
that you would conceal me until your wrath be past,
that you would appoint me a set time, and
remember me! (14:13)He has torn me in his wrath and hated me;
he has gnashed his teeth at me;
my adversary sharpens his eyes against me. (16:9)

Thought For the Day
When a tragedy happens in our life that we can not explain. It is easy to believe that GOD is mad at us, or think, what did I do wrong to GOD so that HE is punishing me? I know when I was diagnosed with my disease, and my family and I slowly watched my body and my health go downhill fast to the point of almost passing away 3 times, I thought MANY times, GOD is GONE, HE hates me. Why is HE doing this to me. Does HE not love me. The sicker I became, the easier it became to blame GOD and think that HE does not care or HE hated me. Let me stop there for a minute and tell you that that is a lie from satan. satan will hit you at your lowest point, he is not a nice being and he does not play fair.

Job felt the same way. As you read the above verses can you grasp what he was feeling. GOD hates me! There are a couple of thoughts that I would like to share with you.

GOD does not punish people unjustly. GOD already punished HIS son. GOD punished HIS son for anything that you have or will do in your life time. Jesus paid your price. GOD will not punish a person a second time or then what Jesus did, does not mean that anything.

Sin does have consequences. Yes, if we make the choice to sin, we have to live with the choices we make. As we just got done looking at the Israelites, GOD did not punish them unjustly, they made the choice again, and again to sin. They brought the punishment on themselves. But, always remember, GOD was quick to forgive and bless.

I believe that GOD will allow things to happen to you, to move you in and out of certain situations. This is what has happened to me. This disease was the worse case the doctors have ever seen, and, I still live with it. But, because of this disease we opened our own business, doing HIS work, and live next to the ocean, I could go on and on. The point is, during the storm I could not see the future, all I could see was pain and confusion. But, now...... WOW. The blessings are amazing. Through this disease GOD moved me into the place where HE needed me.

The last thought is a hard one to accept. We live in a fallen world. There are things that happen that we will never understand. An example of this is the pastor who married us. Cylde McDowell, he was an amazing man. GOD was blessing his church, and his work, he was called to the presidency of Denver Seminary. But, he suddenly died of a brain tumor. He left behind a wife and kids, why? I can't explain it, to this day. We have to remember that GOD is sovereign, there are going to be things in our lives that will happen, that we are not going to be able to explain. We must continue to have faith and trust. When we get to heaven I am sure it will all make sense.
In looking at those thoughts maybe you fall into one. I hope that they have helped you in some way. I hope to see you on Tuesday Morning. May GOD bless you and make HIS face shine upon you! - Jim

Closing Prayer
Dear Jesus
Father thank You for being the perfect Father, with undieing, unimaginable love. I pray Father that through every trial that I have that I will always look up to You even in the most confusing and dark times. I pray Father that I will always see the blessings that You so graciously give everyday. Thank You Father for the storms that draw me closer to You and help me to learn more about You. I love You and I thank You, Amen.

1 comment:

A-Granny-r4 said...

Bible Trivia:
What is the Aramaic word for "Father" or Daddy"?

ANSWER: Abba

Romans 8:15 (KJV)
15For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

Knowing what direction I was going in below in my thoughts I just had to post the way the Message reads on these verses:

Romans 8:15
15-17 This resurrection life you received from God is not a timid, grave-tending life. It's adventurously expectant, greeting God with a childlike "What's next, Papa?" God's Spirit touches our spirits and confirms who we really are. We know who he is, and we know who we are: Father and children. And we know we are going to get what's coming to us—an unbelievable inheritance! We go through exactly what Christ goes through. If we go through the hard times with him, then we're certainly going to go through the good times with him!


Abba a form of the Aramaic word for "father" found in Gal 4:6, Rom
8:15, and Mark 14:36 in the Greek is an address to God.
In the Aramaic form the NT writers show abba as a determinative form 'abba',"The Father".
"father" is certainly correct.

Further
The word ab·ba in Aramaic corresponds to the definite form of ’av, literal meaning “THE FATHER,” or “O FATHER.” It was the intimate name used by children for their fathers and combines some of the intimacy of the English word “papa” while keeping the reverance of the word “FATHER,” being both informal and yet respectful. It was, therefore, an endearing form of address rather than a title and was among the first words a child learned to speak.

Strong's notes that "abba" is "of Chaldee origin" (see Mark 14:36 footnote in many bibles). Abba technically was not Hebrew but most were familiar with the term of endearment and by some definition the term eventually was a part of the Hebrew language.

The use of "Abba" by Christians is one usually reserved for use to show endearment, glorification, divinty of or to The One we call by the name Abba.

Jesus said in (John 17:26) I have made your name known to them and will make it known, in order that the love with which you loved me may be in them.

IN CHRIST
Ecc.3
Donna