Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk

Today's Reading - Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk

Good Morning, today we move through 3 more minor prophets; Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk. All of these are very short, easy read books.

To give you a little background on these minor prophets; Micah's focus is on GOD's hatred of sin, but HIS promise to rescue those with a changed heart. Micah also has one of the clearest prophecies of the coming King; Jesus.

Nahum deals with the fall of Nineveh. There is a very graphic description of Nineveh after their destruction. After reading this, GOD is a god of love, mercy, and second chances, but HE is also a god that is to be taken seriously.

Habakkuk is an neat book. It is dialogue between Habakkuk and GOD. The apostle Paul quoted Habakkuk 2:4 in Romans 1:17. For you history lovers, this verse had a profound influence on Martin Luther which lead to the Protestant reformation.

Habakkuk 1:4, 13-14, 2:4 ESV
4 So the law is paralyzed,
and justice never goes forth.
For the wicked surround the righteous;
so justice goes forth perverted.
13 You who are of purer eyes than
to see evil and cannot look at wrong,
why do you idly look at traitors and remain
silent when the wicked swallows up the man
more righteous than he?
14 You make mankind like the fish of the sea,
like crawling things that have no ruler. (Habakkuk speaking)
2:4 Behold, his soul is puffed up; it is not upright within him,
but the righteous shall live by his faith. (GOD speaking)

Righteous Live By Faith
There are some passages that I read in the Bible that I have to remind myself that these words were written thousands of years ago. The reason I remind myself of this is because the words that were written seem to apply to our day and age. A great example of this is verse 1:4 "The law is paralyzed."

I can identify with Habakkuk and his thoughts. I have had many conversations (OK, complaints) with GOD about this sickness that HE has allowed me to have. I have asked GOD many times: Why do I have this?
I love YOU, and I do my best to serve YOU will all my heart.
I could do so much more for YOUR kingdom if I felt good.
How come YOU let me feel sick?
WHY, WHY, WHY?
Why don't you give this to some child rapist that is sitting in jail, or some murderer, or anyone who takes a clear stand against YOU? Give this to them!

You know with all the questions and complaints that I have presented to GOD, HE has never once shown me a clear answer. HE has not even revealed a little bit of the future either, it is a day by day FAITH issue. It would be so easy to accept if I knew THIS is why you have this, HERE is what I am doing, this is WHY.

I am sure, that if you think for a moment, you can identify with mine and Habakkuk thoughts. Maybe you are not sick, but struggling with finances, finding a spouse, struggling with a job/boss, getting picked on or ridiculed for what you believe and stand up for.

The events that you go through in your life, GOD may never tell you why, until you go home. You may search the Bible forwards and back, and never come up with the answer.
But, I can tell you three principles that we need to live by:
GOD is sovereign. Meaning HIS wisdom goes way beyond ours. HE knows all, and HIS ways are perfect.
BUT....... no buts, GOD is sovereign....period.
Habakkuk 2:4 - The righteous live by FAITH.
Live your life day by day. Take each day one day at a time.
We are taught this by the Lord's Prayer, and the parable of the birds.

Have a blessed day!
For Friday's reading start to take a look at Zephaniah, Haggai, and Zechariah.

Bible Trivia
Did Jesus know He was to be crucified?
Hint: Matthew 20:17-19

Gods411 Interactive
Archived Devotionals - Look up past devotionals
Find Your Answers - Gods411 Topical Bible
Find Your Prayer - Praying the Bible
Wisdom of Proverbs - Search by Topic
Questionnaire - We need your input!

Reading Schedule
View September's Reading Schedule

We Need Your Prayers
A group of us are starting a church in Ocean Shores, WA. The Connection Church
We need and would covet your prayers! Since we have started this, satan has been right there, we have had two people with serious injuries, two families pets had to visit the vet/hospital, and I have had my disease is attacking again. If you would like to commit to prayer for us, please visit our Prayer Page page.

Hope to see you Friday! :)

No comments: