Thursday, October 4, 2007

Matthew 12

Today's Reading - Matthew 12

Good Morning! I hope that you are enjoying the change of reading. The New Testament has a different feel to it doesn't it? We are moving through chapter 12 today, then through chapter 17 over the weekend.


Insight Into Scripture
Chapter 12 is a set of stories that sets Jesus against religious leaders. Verses 1-12 deal with the sabbath observance, casting out demon, seeking a sign from Jesus, then the chapter closes with an epilouge with Jesus' family verses His heavenly family.

Matthew 11:2-6 ESV2 Now when John heard in prison about
the deeds of the Christ, he sent word by
his disciples 3 and said to him, "Are you the
one who is to come, or shall we look for another?"
4 And Jesus answered them, "Go and tell
John what you hear and see: 5 the blind
receive their sight and the lame walk, lepers
are cleansed and the deaf hear, and the dead
are raised up, and the poor have good news
preached to them. 6 And blessed is the one
who is not offended by me."

Not the Way You Planned?
When you are reading the Bible and the stories that are in the Bible, you must always put yourself into the story, and into it's characters. When I first started reading the Bible, I used to skim over sections like the above text. But, now I really try and understand what these people were feeling.

Look at John the Baptist. John knew that this great Messiah was coming. In fact John was the one that baptized Jesus to start His ministry (3:13-17). The heavens opened up, GOD spoke, and the Spirit of GOD descended upon Him. So, John must of known that this was the Messiah. I know that if I saw this sign, I would.

So why then, did John ask in verse 11:3:"Are you the one, or should we expect someone else?" To give you a little background John was in Jail. I believe that John was saying in a round about way.Jesus, remember me, I am the one that baptized you, ahhhhh did you know that I am in jail? Bust me out and lets change the world! I want to help, and I am not doing much here in jail!Did you like Jesus' response? Jesus did not say yes or no. But, tells John what you have seen with your own eyes. I do believe that Jesus gave John some words of encouragement in verse 11:6. Jesus was saying hang in there, trust me even if this does not make sense.

Put yourself in John's shoes.
I would guess that he imagined that when the Messiah came, he would be a part of the plan in some way. I would guess that John was excited for the great things he would see and experience. I would guess that John wanted and dreamed about being apart of this. I would bet the last place that John expected to be was in JAIL.

If you know the end of the story; John was beheaded. I wonder if all the way to his death, in the back of his mind John was thinking:Surely Jesus is going to rescue me.Like John, your plans are not always going to line up with Jesus'. In fact there may be sometimes you may be angry or saddened by them.

Go to Jesus, tell Him your honest feelings (Like King David) Jesus honors this. Once you have shared your heart, "Do not fall" V6 if it still does not fit into your plans, trust Jesus. Someday (Maybe in heaven) it will make sense. - Have a great weekend!!! Jim

Bible Trivia
What does the Bible say about fearing man?
Hint: Matthew 7:13-14

Gods411 Interactive
Archived Devotionals - Look up past devotionals
BLOG - Post Your Comments or Thoughts
Video Devotionals! Get a Overview of Our Lessons
Find Your Answers - Gods411 Topical Bible
Find Your Prayer - Praying the Bible
Wisdom of Proverbs - Search by Topic
Questionnaire - We need your input!

Reading Schedule
View October's Reading Schedule

Church Plant Update
The Connection Church
It looks like GOD is going to allow us to sign a lease for a building this month. We are planning our first service 11/4/07. We still need your prayers as there is going to be a lot of work that we are going to need to do.If you would like a copy of our current newsletter, please reply back to this devotional.If you would like to commit to prayer for us, please visit our Prayer Page page.
Gods411.com Ministries
email: gods411@coastaccess.com
phone: 1-360-289-0882
web: http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=bu6ghfcab.0.0.xjhbmwbab.0&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gods411.com

No comments: