Thursday, October 11, 2007

Matthew: The Closing Chapters

Matthew: The Closing ChaptersMatthew 27-28

Happy Friday! Today we finish with the book of Matthew. Remember that Matthew wrote Matthew to tell the Jews that Jesus was truly the Messiah. There is a hint of this verse 28:15

Chapter 27 and 28 tell of the hours before Jesus' crucifixion. For me, it is always bittersweet. The injustice always angers me, but, at the same time I know that it had to be done for my salvation. There is one event after Jesus gives up His spirit that is not heard of a lot. It is told in verses 52-53

Below is a modern day picture of the Field of Blood where Judas hung himself.

Matthew 26:38-44 ESV38 Then he said to them, "My soul is very sorrowful,
even to death; remain here, and watch with me."
39 And going a little farther he fell on his face and
prayed, saying, "My Father, if it be possible, let
this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will,
but as you will." 40 And he came to the disciples
and found them sleeping. And he said to Peter,
"So, could you not watch with me one hour?
41 Watch and pray that you may not enter into

temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the
flesh is weak." 42 Again, for the second time,
he went away and prayed, "My Father, if this cannot
pass unless I drink it, your will be done."
43 And again he came and found them sleeping,
for their eyes were heavy. 44 So, leaving them again,
he went away and prayed for the third time,
saying the same words again.

Jesus' Prayer
I would guess that Jesus was praying all the time to His FATHER. The Bible makes references when Jesus prayed, but this prayer is the most well known.

I thought we would take a look at this prayer in this devotional and maybe we can apply some traits of Jesus' into our prayer life.

When Jesus was sorrowful and troubled he went to His FATHER in prayer.
This for most of us, I would imagine, would be a given. But, notice how Jesus went into solitude, fell face down and prayed. When you have something troubling you, you need somewhere alone with Jesus. There is nothing like going alone with Jesus in silent prayer.

I do not know about you, but I have had people tell me that you do not need to repeat yourself when you are praying. They have told me that if I repeat myself, it is like I am not trusting Jesus to help me or answer my prayers. I did not know how to feel about this, until I read this passage. Jesus prayed for the same thing three times (See verse 26:44)

The last thing that I found interesting, is the openness and honesty of Jesus. Yes, I know that Jesus was open and honest all the time, but in His Prayer to GOD he shows His anxiety, and apprehension. Jesus knew what was going to happen, He knew all the pain that He was going to have to endure, and He expressed it to His FATHER.This is key to your prayer life. Pour out every fear, apprehension, and anxiety to Jesus, lay it at His feet. Leave it there, and walk away knowing whatever the outcome, Jesus knows the best for you and your life.

Over the weekend we start to read the book of Mark. May the Lord Bless you wherever you may go. - Jim

Bible Trivia
What is the field called today, where Judas hung himself?
Hint: Matthew 27:8Gods411

Questionnaire -We need your input!

Reading Schedule
View October's Reading Schedule

No comments: