Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Are You Unhappy In Life?



Insight Into the Scriptures Genesis 19-21
The fact that Lot was at the city gates means he was most likely conducting business, which would mean he would be accepted in the city of Sodom.
When Lot's daughters took matters into their own hands and slept with Lot, both of them had children. One was the father of the Moabites and one was the father of the Ammonites. Both are considered enemy nations for most of their history. Coincidence???

As we have read, Abraham lied twice to the Kings about Sarah being his wife. (12:12, 20:2) He lied because he feared that he would be killed. Both times God intervened and did not punish Abraham. Why? I would love to hear your thoughts on our blog. One of my thoughts is that Abraham and Sara did not have a great relationship? I know that I could not give up Kim to anyone.

Genesis 19:1-8, 16, 18-19, 26 - NIV
"The two angels arrived at Sodom in the evening, and Lot was sitting in the gateway of the city. When he saw them, he got up to meet them and bowed down with his face to the ground. "My lords," he said, "please turn aside to your servant's house. You can wash your feet and spend the night and then go on your way early in the morning."
"No," they answered, "we will spend the night in the square."
But he insisted so strongly that they did go with him and entered his house. He prepared a meal for them, baking bread without yeast, and they ate. Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom—both young and old— surrounded the house. They called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them."
Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him and said, "No, my friends. Don't do this wicked thing. Look, I have two daughters who have never slept with a man. Let me bring them out to you, and you can do what you like with them. But don't do anything to these men, for they have come under the protection of my roof."
When he hesitated, the men grasped his hand and the hands of his wife and of his two daughters and led them safely out of the city, for the LORD was merciful to them.But Lot said to them, "No, my lords, please! Your servant has found favor in your eyes, and you have shown great kindness to me in sparing my life. But I can't flee to the mountains; this disaster will overtake me, and I'll die.
But Lot's wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt."

Thought for the Day
At one time in my life I was so wrapped up into sin that I could not let go. I knew that it was wrong, and I knew that I should not of been there, but I could not let it go.

As I was reading the story of Lot I could not help but to think of myself, he was so deep in the clutches of sin that he did not want to let it go. Lot was living in Sodom, he was an accepted member of the city. Lot knew that Sodom was not a good place for him or his family to be in, but, maybe business was good, he was making alot of money there, so he chose money over God. We are told that if God could find 10 righteous people, God would not destroy the city (18:32) There were not 10 righteous people there, Lot was surrounded by sin, yet he chose to stay.

Lot was so engrossed into his sin, even when 2 angels told him to get out he could not do it. We are told that the angels had to grasp his hand and lead him out. Lot loved his sin so much that he could not bear to see it destroyed, he said it would kill him. (19:19) And as you know the story sin destroyed Lot's wife too, she was turned into a pillar of salt.

Sin is an addictive habit, we have to resist even the littlest of temptation. Once you give into that temptation, you have accepted it, then the next time that temptation comes around again, it is easier to accept. Eventually you become like Lot, where you are consumed by the sin and you can't let it go. If you are stuck in sin as Lot was, you need to get out! Jesus is waiting there to help pull you out. If you stay in that sin, it only leads to death. If you are not in sin's clutches you must fight everyday to stay pure. Pray the armor of God on each day (Ephesians 6)

Closing Prayer
Dear Jesus,
Thank You for Your forgiveness and mercy that You have shown me time and time again. Jesus, I know that I struggle with sin, and I need Your strength everyday. Thank You Jesus for making the huge sacrifice on the Cross so that I can be with You forever. I love you!
In Your Name,
Amen



No comments: