Thursday, May 30, 2013

How To Say No To Temptation


 
Insight Into the Scriptures ~ Genesis 25 - 27
When Esau sold his birthright, he was selling his material inheritance. The inheritance was divided into the number of sons plus one. The eldest son then received a double share.

Once when Jacob was cooking some stew, Esau came in from the open country, famished. He said to Jacob, "Quick, let me have some of that red stew! I'm famished!" (That is why he was also called Edom.)

Jacob replied, "First sell me your birthright.""Look, I am about to die," Esau said. "What good is the birthright to me?

"But Jacob said, "Swear to me first." So he swore an oath to him, selling his birthright to Jacob.

Then Jacob gave Esau some bread and some lentil stew. He ate and drank, and then got up and left.
So Esau despised his birthright.

Thought for the Day
Have you ever acted on an impulse without thinking about the outcome down the road? I know that I have many times, but I as I am getting older and I hope wiser too, I am learning to think about what this decision will cost me down the road a bit. This is exactly what happened to Esau.

Esau was hungry, and at the time he was only thinking about his immediate needs, he did not "Play the tape forward", he wanted to satisfy his needs NOW. Esau even comments that he is going to die, and what good would a birthright be if he were dead. I believe that in his mind he was convincing himself to sell the birthright, I doubt that he was going to drop dead on the spot, he could have waited a couple of hours to cook himself some of his own stew.

We need not to act on our impulses, we need not satisfy our immediate desire without considering the long range outcome or consequences of our actions. When we see something we want, our first thought is that we HAVE to have it, I can't live without it. Usually, when we do fall into the temptation it will give us short term satisfaction, but once the newness has worn off we will see how damaging it will become in the future. Just as when Esau ate and drank, I am sure he realized what he had just done, then "Despised" his birthright. Do not fall into the same trap as Esau did, learn to control you desires, figure out what it is you need to do to control your temptations.

"No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it." - 1 Corinthians 10:13 NIV

Closing Prayer
Dear Jesus,
Please teach me patience, please give me the spiritual wisdom to see beyond the temptation of the moment. Jesus, please give me the tools I need to combat the desires that I have. I long to live a Godly life that is pleasing to You. I love You Jesus and Your teaching, please be with me today, let Your light shine through me!
In Your Name,
Amen

No comments: