Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Are You In A Desert?

Insight Into the Scriptures - Duet 5-13
Horeb is another name for Mount Sinai.Monotheism is the belief in one God. Many ancient religions believed in many gods. God had to prepare the Israelites, they were about to enter into a land where there were many gods. Jesus quoted verse 8:3 when satan was tempting Him into turning stones into bread (Matthew 4:4) The Anaki people (9:2-3) were enormous people. some seven to nine feet tall. Goliath was most likely a descendant of this race. (1 Samuel 17:4-7).

I am finding Deuteronomy interesting. It takes the last couple of chapters we have read, and it goes into more detail. For example, in Exodus 20 you will read the 10 commandments, then in Deuteronomy 5, God explains more in depth on His commands. It is like you are seeing another side of God.

Deuteronomy 8:2, 4, 16-18 ESV

"And you shall remember the whole way that the LORD your God has led you these forty years in the wilderness, that he might humble you, testing you to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep his commandments or not. 4 Your clothing did not wear out on you and your foot did not swell these forty years. 16 Who fed you in the wilderness with manna that your fathers did not know, that he might humble you and test you, to do you good in the end. 17 Beware lest you say in your heart, 'My power and the might of my hand have gotten me this wealth.' 18 You shall remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you power to get wealth, that he may confirm his covenant that he swore to your fathers, as it is this day".

Thought for the Day
In reading God's Word, chapter 8 stuck with me. It is titled Remember the Lord Your God.

I have had so many people share with me their trials and troubles in life. Some say they are financially in trouble, some are dealing with severe health issues, some are having relationship troubles, or some say they are struggling with their faith, they are going through their own desert. My heart goes out to these people that I talk too, because I have experienced two severe deserts in my life. I have come to know that God allows you to be in that desert. He knows where you are and the troubles, heartache, and the pain that you are going through. Also know, that if He allows you to be in a desert, He can bring you out of it too. Verses 8:2 sums it up for me. As the Israelites, God put you in your wilderness to test you, he wants to see where your heart is, where does your faith lie? Do you keep His commandments in the good times and the bad times?

Whatever wilderness you are in, God will provide for you. He has not left you. In verse 4 is says that God supernaturally allowed the Israelites clothing not to wear out. I am sure this did not even cross their mind. They were so focused on what they did not have and how unfair God was being to them.

When you do come out of the wilderness into your "Promise Land" never forget your desert experience. It is very easy to put God on the back burner when things are going well. But, when things are bad again, BOOM, you are on your knees saying, "Where are you God". The fact is, He never left, YOU left him. ALWAYS GIVE GLORY TO GOD.

I can tell you that I have survived three "Death Valleys" in my life. Through the grace of Christ, I have come out of both a better person, more devoted, deeper faith, and a better understanding of the Almighty.

Closing Prayer
My Heavenly Father,

Teach me to trust you. I know that in my life there are going to be good times and bad times. Please shape me and make my faith unshakeable. Lord, I give you all the glory, I am who I am, because you love me and care for me. Thank you Jesus. I love you!
In Your Name I pray, Amen




















No comments: