Monday, August 19, 2013

Everyone Serves Something, What Do You Serve?

Insight into Scripture - Joshua 10-11
The practice of maidens going out to greet returning victors with song and dance was common. (11:34)
Tearing one's clothes, was a common form of mourning, that along with placing ashes in the hair. (11:35)

I pray that you have had a good Sabbath day. The picture to the left is a modern day Gilead. This could have been close to the site where Jephthah made a vow to YAHWEH asking HIM to give the Ammonites into his hands.This is an interesting story, as the ending of Jephthah's vow ends up in some modern day controversy.

Scripture Reading
Further Disobedience and Oppression
"6 The people of Israel again did what was evil in the sight of the LORD and served the Baals and the Ashtaroth, the gods of Syria, the gods of Sidon, the gods of Moab, the gods of the Ammonites, and the gods of the Philistines. And they forsook the LORD and did not serve him. 7 So the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he sold them into the hand of the Philistines and into the hand of the Ammonites, 8 and they crushed and oppressed the people of Israel that year. For eighteen years they oppressed all the people of Israel who were beyond the Jordan in the land of the Amorites, which is in Gilead. 9 And the Ammonites crossed the Jordan to fight also against Judah and against Benjamin and against the house of Ephraim, so that Israel was severely distressed.
10 And the people of Israel cried out to the LORD, saying, "We have sinned against you, because we have forsaken our God and have served the Baals." - Judges 10:6-10"

Thought of the Day
Men and women were created to serve. From the most religious person to the most non-religious person you know, we were all made to serve something.

In your life, have you ever felt restless, kind of an uneasiness as you were searching for something to satisfy the empty feeling inside? Then you find that "Something" you can identify with, you grasp it, and worship it. Your whole day revolves around this one thing. I can.

My soul was searching for something, (It was Christ) but, my earthly desires took over my heavenly desires. I found bodybuilding. I served and worshipped bodybuilding. I ate it, breathed it, slept it, it was always on my mind. As soon as I would wake up, I would be planning out my workout routine, worked all day thinking about it. Then I finally came to the place of worship (The gym) worked out for 3 hours, went home, surfed the net and read magazines about it, finally went to bed thinking about tomorrow's workout. I am sure that some of you can identify with my feelings.

Today, the same is still true, just replace Christ for the bodybuilding. Just as the Israelites HAD to serve something, YOU are or are going too serve something. What is your "Something?" Besides work, schooling, or being a parent, what takes the majority of your time? TV, more work, internet, XBOX, sports, crafts or GOD, Reading the Bible, prayer, devotions, meditations on Christ? What god are you serving?

Closing Prayer
Father thank You for the times of fellowship You share with us. Thank You for all the loving people You place around me on Sundays. I pray Father that I seek You all week and not just on Sunday. I pray that I help others around me to see You and seek You. I thank You and pray for Divine appointments as I go onto the week. I want to feel Your presence wherever I go and pray and give praises to You. Father thank You for the many blessings You give to me everyday, especially those that I do not deserve but You have so graciously given.
I love You and I pray in Your Name, Amen.



No comments: