Monday, September 30, 2013

Do You Need Gods Grace?

Are You In Need of God's Grace?



Insight Into Scripture 2 Kings 4-5
In today's reading we observe where Elijah left his ministry, Elisha continues. Elisha performs some miracles including raising a dead Shunammite's son 2 Kings 4:18-37. We then read the story of Naaman, God's grace and Naaman leprosy in 2 Kings 5.

Leprosy, much like AIDS today, was one of the most feared diseases in ancient times. It was very contagious and in many cases was incurable. In severe cases it lead to death, this is why many lepers were forced out of the cities into camps.When Naaman had been healed in chapter 5, Gehazi selfishly returned to trick Naaman into giving him money. Gehazi was asking for 300 hundred years wages; roughly 10 millions dollars today. Gehazi was setting himself up for LIFE.

Bringing the Bible Alive
This is a picture of the Jordan River. It is a small, winding, dirty stream that makes its way to the Dead Sea. This may have been what the river looked like when Elisha told Naaman to dip seven times in it, so he would be clean. The river winds so much on its journey from the Sea of Galilee to the Dead Sea, that the entire course runs about 130 miles, instead of the 60 miles it would take if it ran straight. These pictures are taken from Bibleplace.com

Scripture Reading
So Naaman went in and told his lord, "Thus and so spoke the girl from the land of Israel." And the king of Syria said, "Go now, and I will send a letter to the king of Israel.

"So he went, taking with him ten talents of silver, six thousand shekels of gold, and ten changes of clothes. And he brought the letter to the king of Israel, which read, "When this letter reaches you, know that I have sent to you Naaman my servant, that you may cure him of his leprosy.
Christian Daily Deals

"And Elisha sent a messenger to him, saying, "Go and wash in the Jordan seven times, and your flesh shall be restored, and you shall be clean." But Naaman was angry and went away, saying, "Behold, I thought that he would surely come out to me and stand and call upon the name of the LORD his God, and wave his hand over the place and cure the leper. Are not Abana and Pharpar, the rivers of Damascus, better than all the waters of Israel? Could I not wash in them and be clean?" So he turned and went away in a rage. But his servants came near and said to him, "My father, it is a great word the prophet has spoken to you; will you not do it? Has he actually said to you, 'Wash, and be clean'?" So he went down and dipped himself seven times in the Jordan, according to the word of the man of God, and his flesh was restored like the flesh of a little child, and he was clean. - 2 Kings 5:5-6, 10-14

Think n Grow
In my life I have done some pretty bad things, very sinful things that I am very ashamed of. Even though I know that it is only through GOD's grace (Something given to you that you do not deserve) it is still hard for me to believe that ALL I have to do, is ask to be forgiven. It just seems like I should be doing more for God's grace. I have known this truth for sometime in my life, I can imagine how a new believer would have a hard time accepting, "That is all I have to do??"

The story of Naaman is a wonderful example of God's grace. Naaman had leprosy (Sin) and he had heard that a prophet could cure him. So Naaman tried to buy his cure of this disease. He set off with 700 lbs of silver and 150 lbs of gold or $750,000 in today's money.

Naaman's money was rejected and he was told to bathe in the dirty Jordan River (Forgiveness of sins). Naaman was indignant. He was wanting this big production, and why the little dirty river? Why not a big, beautiful river like the Damascus? In fact Naaman almost missed being healed due to his lack of faith and God's grace. He was coaxed into dipping seven times in the Jordan, and his skin was healed like that of a young boy.

Just like Naaman, alot of us think there has to be more to this salvation, forgiveness of sins, and God's grace. It seems too simple or maybe too little faith, that it will work.... there has to be more. For us that believe, let us never forget the HUGE sacrifice one Man made for ours to be so simple. Thank You God for your grace! Shop books on God's Grace.

Sumbit Your Prayer Request
Closing Prayer
Dear Jesus
Yes thank You Jesus for making that trip to the cross that I will never understand totally what You did, just for me, thank You. I pray that I remember that everyday, that I remember the pain it took for that to happen, the love it took just for me to be able to live with You forever. Thank You. I pray for my forgiveness Father, I pray and I am sorry for my sins.
I love You, In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments: