Sunday, December 24, 2006

Merry Christmas!


Blessings!
I thought that today being Christmas we could focus on something a little more brighter than Revelation and the end of the world. So I hope that this devotional will bless you.
Kim, Tyler and I wish you a peaceful and blessed Christmas. I know that this time of year brings families together, sometimes we do not get along with all of our family members, but I pray that Christ's love cuts through all the feelings. There is nothing more important than the relationships that you will sow here on earth.
If your family is away this Christmas, I pray that they would feel your spirit and Christ's love. As we move out of Christmas and into another year, I would also encourage you to keep the Christmas spirit alive; the spirit of Christ.

Luke 1:26-30, 4:4-7, John 19:25-27, Matthew 27:60-61, 28:1-2 - NIV
"In the sixth month, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin's name was Mary. The angel went to her and said, "Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you."
"Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God."
"So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child. While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn."
"Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, "Dear woman, here is your son," and to the disciple, "Here is your mother." From that time on, this disciple took her into his home."
"...and placed it in his own new tomb that he had cut out of the rock. He rolled a big stone in front of the entrance to the tomb and went away. Mary Magdalene and the other Mary were sitting there opposite the tomb."
"After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb.""There was a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it."

Thought for the Day
Have you ever really thought about Mary? Sometimes it is hard for me, when I read the Bible I know the beginning, and the end. I know how the story ends, and it is good. But, just as you may be in a trial or painful situation right now, you do not know the end of your story, but, Christ has read your story and He knows how it ends. So, let's take a better look at Mary's life, and try to live the moment she was living, put yourself in her shoes.
Mary was approached by an angel and told that she was "Highly favored", the "Lord is with you", and "You have favor with God" you are going to be THE MOTHER of JESUS, the Savior of the World!!! Now, if an angel told me that, I would think, I am in good with the Big Guy, I have found favor and I am HAVING HIS SON. Life is going to be goooooood. Right?
When Mary was nine months pregnant, she had to get on a donkey, travel 70 miles on a rocky, rough road, then when she and Joseph arrived in Bethlehem, there was no room..... only a stable with animals. At this point I might question God, "Ahhhhh Lord, where was the royal travel, you know the angel that came before, where is he now and the royal chariots? Oh and Lord you do know that I am nine months pregnant? And one more thing Lord, no nice hotel room for your Son??
Now, fast forward with Mary at the foot of the Cross, her Son, the Savior of the World, God's Son, dying this incredibly painful death, just imagine the feelings she felt as her Son looked down upon her and acknowledged His beloved mother, then to follow His lifeless body to the tomb and to see Him placed in there. I think at this point I would loose it. I would scream to God, "What are you doing? You told me that I was "Highly favored and You are with me?" "Where are you now?" "You let Your Son die, the Savior of the World."
But, Mary did not know the end of her story, or the empty tomb with a risen Son. In reading the story, I believe there was one thing that Mary said to Elizabeth that allowed her to "keep it together"
"And Mary said:
My soul glorifies the Lord
and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for He has been mindful
of the humble state of His servant.
So, whether you are in a trial, or the next one you face, remember Mary, remember you do not know the end of your story, but however it ends, there will be an empty tomb with a risen savior waiting for you! - Merry Christmas~

Closing Prayer
Dear Jesus,
Thank you for this day, a time when we remember the amazing journey You started, to save us from eternal death, Happy Birthday Jesus!
Jesus, I want to take a moment to remember Your men and women who are serving Your country, please be with them and let them feel You and Your intoxicating love. We love You!
In Your Name,
Amen

Bible Trivia
What was the sign that the Angels gave to the shepherds, so that they would recognize Jesus?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The Sheppards were told that they would find Jesus wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.