Thursday, April 26, 2007

1 Kings 14-15


Insight Into Scripture

Right after King Solomon's death Israel is stuck in a constant cycle of sin. The chapters today are no exception, the cycle keeps on going around.Asherah was a goddess. It is sad, but if you do a search for Asherah Poles on google, our culture still worships her (14:23). (Do not search if you are not firmly planted in Christ)Wiping out a predecessor's family seems extremely harsh, and it is. It was a way of eliminating all future claimants to the throne. (15:29)


This picture is the Elah Valley. This strategic city was wisely fortified by Rehoboam who we are reading about (14:21). This valley was famous for another battle; David and Goliath. If you click on the picture you will see the Brook Elah (Scroll down). This is the brook that David took the stones from that ended Goliath's life. I would LOVE to visit that brook and take home a couple of stones! The picture is from Bibleplaces.com


Join Our Family
Scripture Reading
9 but you have done evil above all who were before you and have gone and made for yourself other gods and metal images, provoking me to anger, and have cast me behind your back.
22 And Judah did what was evil in the sight of the LORD, and they provoked him to jealousy with their sins that they committed, more than all that their fathers had done.3 And he walked in all the sins that his father did before him, and his heart was not wholly true to the LORD his God, as the heart of David his father.
25 Nadab the son of Jeroboam began to reign over Israel in the second year of Asa king of Judah, and he reigned over Israel two years. 26 He did what was evil in the sight of the LORD and walked in the way of his father, and in his sin which he made Israel to sin. - 1 Kings 14:9, 22, 15:3, 25-26 ESV

Thought for the Day
Sin is evil and contagious. Once you accept that little sin it is much easier to accept a larger one, then a larger one, then a larger one, the cycle keeps going on and on, till you are DEEP into sin. I am sure that if someone had told King David that he would commit adultery and murder, he might tell you that you were crazy. King David's sin started with just a little look, the look turned into lust, the lust gave birth to action. King David was so stuck in sin it took his friend Nathan to show him what he was doing. Sin has almost a numbing effect on us.
As followers of Christ, we must stay close to Jesus. We need to watch how we are spending our time. In ancient times they did not have TV's, cell phones, or internet, there is so much that consumes our time these days. In ancient times they made their gods, we already have them made for us. As you are reading these chapters, nothing angers GOD more than having a "god" before Him that we worship.
To stay clear of sin and live a life that pleases GOD we have to spend time with HIM. If you are not putting down that other god and giving the Living GOD priority of your time, sin is lurking around the corner to pounce on you. Which one of your gods have you spent the most time with this week?

Submit Your Prayer Request
Closing Prayer
Dear Jesus
Thank You Father for Your daily teachings. I pray that I will continue to read, Your word and that You will help me to see the words pop out at me and teach me to be like You. Father I know this is a HUGE stretch, but I want to try everyday to be less like me, and only with Your help can I do that.
I love You and I pray in Your Name,
Amen.

3 comments:

A-Granny-r4 said...

THOUGHT FOR YOUR THOUGHT on
SIN IS CONTAGIOUS

Exodus 34:6-7 (NIV)

And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, "The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation."

The above says it all.

Conclude with this....

The cycle of sin brings on generationsl curses. Look at what the word says about the Old Covenant "generational curse"and what it means in the practice of a life of faith NOW? What many believers do not know is that through the work of Christ on the cross, we have another option available. This freedom in Messiah was even prophesied in the Old Covenant. What is true must still be believed and actualized by us in practice, so we need to "hear" the word of the Lord and then enter into the "rest" that God has promised.
Long ago, the Jews had taken the above revelation to Moses and turned it into a taunt of God, and opposing and attacking Him with accusation that He was false and lacked integrity. God's justice
we will see throughout the Bible. The prophets report this and make an interesting promise in rebuke--seen fulfilled in Messiah and to be believed and seized by us!

SCRIPTURE: please take note to last one !!!!!!

Ezekiel 18:1-4 (NIV) The word of the Lord came to me: "What do you people mean by quoting this proverb about the land of Israel: 'The fathers eat sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge'? As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign Lord, you will no longer quote this proverb in Israel. For every living soul belongs to me, the father as well as the son--both alike belong to me. The soul who sins is the one who will die."
Ezekiel 18:14-16,18-20 (NIV) "But suppose this son has a son who sees all the sins his father commits, and though he sees them, he does not do such things: He does not eat at the mountain shrines or look to the idols of the house of Israel... He does not oppress anyone... He does not commit robbery, but gives his food to the hungry and provides clothing for the naked... He will not die for his father's sin; he will surely live. But his father will die for his own sin, because he practiced extortion, robbed his brother and did what was wrong among his people. Yet you ask, 'Why does the son not share the guilt of his father?' Since the son has done what is just and right and has been careful to keep all my decrees, he will surely live. The soul who sins is the one who will die. The son will not share the guilt of the father, nor will the father share the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous man will be credited to him, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against him."

Jeremiah 31:29-32 (NIV) In those days people will no longer say, 'The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge.' Instead, everyone will die for his own sin; whoever eats sour grapes--his own teeth will be set on edge. "The time is coming," declares the Lord, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah. It will not be like the covenant I made with their forefathers..."

John 8:11 (NIV) ... Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."

IN CHRIST
Ecc.3
Donna

A-Granny-r4 said...

As you can tell I must have found some time I did not know I would have.

You know I am excited about the UPCOMING evangelist (yes I said upcoming.) I truly was in high gear for the next 5 days, and now I would crash on Monday. I get so very excited to hear Pastor Randy whenever he is coming that I forget to look at calendars, I just become like a race horse in the starting gate. My body is saying, THANK YOU, cause he does not come till next week. So I may have to wait to hear what God has imparted unto this young man, but I know my body will be thankful and my Spirit will have greater anticpation.

Well off to make a Mickey Mouse Costume for a pony and yes I said a pony. And I will post Trivia later today.....

IN CHRIST
Ecc.3
Donna

A-Granny-r4 said...

Bible Trivia:

What was the first immediate effect on Jesus' disciples upon receiving the Holy Spirit?
Acts 1:13, 2:4

ANSWER:
Acts 2:4
...began to speak with other tongues...

King James Version (KJV)

Acts 1:13

13 And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James.

Acts 2:4

4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

OK it is now 9:30 and I have just made the drive back from my daughters and pony costume making almost complete. Early in the morning I will drive back to put finishing touches and bathe and groom pony and horse and get'm ready to show. Pray for the grandchildren to have a safe night and in all their ways glorify God.

ONE LAST WORD:

I was going to leave this Trivia with just an answer but as the day progressed I realized that I could not do this. I knew that I needed to give testimony to Acts 2:4. Many say that this was just for that generation but some 30 years ago I discovered it did not stop with that generation. I am living it to this day. You know there is this well known question: "how do you know that Jesus Lives, I know cause He Lives with in my Heart", well I can say that I know because He Lives within my heart and also that the work and witness of the Holy Spirit by the evidence of speaking in tongues is still evident for today because of the evidence in my own life.

I would have to let everyone know that it was not something that I was raised and taught to believe in, quiet the contrary. Having experienced Salvation some years earlier, ss time past a hunger began to spring up from the inward most parts of my soul. This lead me to a search for several years. Late one night while praying and praising God in song in the floor of my living room, I simply said oh God I know there is more to Salvation than what I have. I can assure you God spoke to me as he did to those that he said go and wait in the upper room, and they knew not what they were waiting for but they were obedient. I can tell you I waited not knowing for what but the swell of abounding LOVE that filled that room I was in I will never forget. Then the warmth no the fire that feel changed my life forever. I arose somethime the we hours of the next morning knowing that Acts 2:4 is for yesterday, today and tomorrow.

IN THE LOVE OF CHRIST
Ecc.3
Donna