Wednesday, April 25, 2007

1 Kings 12-13

Insight Into Scripture
Right after Solomon's death the curse of YAHWEH is taking effect. The new King; Jeroboam does not even seek YAHWEH. He builds a shrine for his golden calves. Jeroboam did not follow YAHWEH's rule and appoints just about anyone a priest.
The sharing of a meal was often used in a treaty or covenant making process. This is why YAHWEH instructed the prophet not to partake in a meal. (13:7-9)

This picture is believed to be the podium that Jeroboam constructed to house the golden calf at Dan (12:25ff). Archaeologists now think the platform was roofed. As the story goes: when "A Man of GOD" came to challenge Jeroboam, Jeroboam was angered, stretched out his hand, and it shriveled up! (13:4) This picture is from Bibleplace s.com

Scripture Reading
18 And he said to him, "I also am a prophet as you are, and an angel spoke to me by the word of the LORD, saying, 'Bring him back with you into your house that he may eat bread and drink water.'" But he lied to him. 19 So he went back with him and ate bread in his house and drank water.
20 And as they sat at the table, the word of the LORD came to the prophet who had brought him back. 21 And he cried to the man of God who came from Judah, "Thus says the LORD, 'Because you have disobeyed the word of the LORD and have not kept the command that the LORD your God commanded you, 22 but have come back and have eaten bread and drunk water in the place of which he said to you, "Eat no bread and drink no water," your body shall not come to the tomb of your fathers.'" 23 And after he had eaten bread and drunk, he saddled the donkey for the prophet whom he had brought back. 24 And as he went away a lion met him on the road and killed him. And his body was thrown in the road, and the donkey stood beside it; the lion also stood beside the body. 1 Kings 13:18-24 ESV

Join Gods411 Family
Thought for the Day
When our son is confronted with a problem, he will ask our opinion. Sometimes we will not give him an answer that he wants or likes. So instead of listening to the wisdom that Kim and I have, he will go seeking the answer that he wants. If he asks enough people he will get the answer that suits him, it most likely will not be the answer that is right, but he got what he wanted.
In your Christian walk there are going to be times where you are searching for answers. In our age of technology you can find answers anywhere at anytime. We need to be aware that there are alot of false prophets and teachers out there. Yes, not everyone on TBN is aligned with Christ. I have seen some programs that have just enraged me! This must be very confusing for "New Believers."
Just as the prophet from GOD fell into the trap of listening then believing the lying "Old Prophet" we need to question anything that goes against the Word of GOD. This prophet should have thought; GOD told me not to partake in a meal, so unless GOD tells me different, I will not listen or believe them.Today we still have GOD, HE speaks to us through HIS word. As you are listening, reading, or googling if something does not sound right, ask GOD!

Submit Your Prayer Request
Closing Prayer
Dear JesusFather as I stare at the awe of Your nature scenes out my window, I can not help but to be overwhelmed with gratefulness, thank You for that. I pray that I can be a strong force for You everyday. That I will follow Your truths, hear those truths and be obedient. I pray Father that You will forgive me for those times that I am a sinner and I ask Your forgiveness, guidance and growth. Thank You for always being there,
I love You and I pray in Your Name,
Amen.


1 comment:

A-Granny-r4 said...

Bible Trivia
What two people had time altered for them?

Joshua 10:13, 2 Kings 20:8-11

Joshua 10:7,8,13
7 So Joshua went up from Gilgal, he and all R174 the people of war with him and all the valiant warriors.

8 The LORD said to Joshua, "Do R175 not fear them, for I have
given them into your hands;

13 So the sun stood still, and the moon stopped, Until the nation avenged themselves of their enemies. Is it not written in the book of Jashar? And the R181 sun stopped in the middle of the sky and did not hasten to go down for about a whole day.

2 Kings 20:8-11
11 Isaiah the prophet cried to the LORD, and He brought the shadow on the stairway back ten steps by which it had gone down on the stairway of Ahaz.

ANSWER:
JOSHUA and ISAIAH

IN CHRIST
Ecc.3
Donna

P.S.
Well be away from computer all day tomorrow. I will be at church until late, we have an evangelist coming in that I never miss. He will be in town for 4 days and there I will be except on horse show night. I will try to catch you passing through to wind down only to get up and go again.