Monday, April 23, 2007

1 Kings 8


Insight Into Scripture

In today's reading Solomon brings the Ark into the Most Holy place, then he dedicates the temple to YAHWEH, turns and prays for the people and blesses them.The temple was dedicated in the month of Ethanim (8:2) this corresponds to September - October.

Blessings~
This is a picture of Solomon dedicating the temple to YAHWEH. The dedication and celebration took 14 days. (8:65) Solomon offered 22,000 cattle and 120,000 sheep and goats as a sacrifice before the LORD. (8:63) Can you even try to imagine that. WOW! It must has been an all day all night constant giving to the LORD.
Here is an interesting point..... with as much as that must have cost Israel to sacrifice all those animals, they were not worried about the cost, they were worried about YAHWEH. Right now Israel is about to enter into a huge blessing period. They have peace in all the land, and they are going into the wealthiest period they have known. Do you see a connection between the two?

Join Our Facebook Family
Scripture Reading
5 At Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream by night, and God said, "Ask what I shall give you." 6 And Solomon said, "You have shown great and steadfast love to your servant David my father, because he walked before you in faithfulness, in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart toward you. And you have kept for him this great and steadfast love and have given him a son to sit on his throne this day. 7 And now, O LORD my God, you have made your servant king in place of David my father, although I am but a little child. I do not know how to go out or come in. 8 And your servant is in the midst of your people whom you have chosen, a great people, too many to be numbered or counted for multitude. 9 Give your servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your people, that I may discern between good and evil, for who is able to govern this your great people?"10 It pleased the Lord that Solomon had asked this. 11 And God said to him, "Because you have asked this, and have not asked for yourself long life or riches or the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern what is right, 12 behold, I now do according to your word. Behold, I give you a wise and discerning mind, so that none like you has been before you and none like you shall arise after you. 13 I give you also what you have not asked, both riches and honor, so that no other king shall compare with you, all your days.
14 And if you will walk in my ways, keeping my statutes and my commandments, as your father David walked, then I will lengthen your days." - 1 Kings 3:5-14

Thought for the Day
I know that this passage of scripture is in the past, but I have not been able to get my mind off of it since I have read it. The answer that Solomon gave YAHWEH just impresses me! I have spent the last couple of days thinking of how I would have answered. I have tried to be honest with myself and I am not sure that I would have answered as Solomon had.
Can you imagine The GOD of the universe coming to you asking what you wanted. Then telling you that what you wanted, HE would provide.....ANYTHING. Without putting any thought into it, what would it be? What would be your reasoning for your answer? If you had some time to ponder the thought, would it change your mind?
I would say that your first answer would be a good pulse where your heart is at. If your first response is not something that you like, what do you need to do to get your heart where you would be happy with your response? King Solomon made an amazing choice, he put GOD first and his task at hand first, which pleased GOD. So much that YAHWEH gave Solomon what he asked for and MORE!.

Closing Prayer
Dear Jesus
Thank You Father for giving us choices and free will. I pray Father that I can continue to do more for You and less for my worldly needs. I pray Father that I can be a great light for You and that I will dress myself in You.
I love You and I pray in Your Name,
Amen

Sumbit Prayer Request

5 comments:

A-Granny-r4 said...

This is the given in todays trivia ++++ Hint: Jonah 4:1-2 ++++ Job 2:6-8 ++++ is scripture you might want to use.

A-Granny-r4 said...

When you ask this question:

Do you see a connection between the two?

Might you mean that when Israel got there priorities right God could Bless them.

By them not looking at the cost and giving as they should God gave back to them far above.

We to can never out give God, just try and see what happens....

IN CHRIST
Ecc.3
Donna

A-Granny-r4 said...

Israel was not worried about the cost, they were worried about YAHWEH. This allowas Israel to go into the wealthiest period they have known.

At first glance I would look at this from the monetary point of view. As I typed the opening paragraph it also became clear that it also was, Israel thinking of Yahweh FIRST.

I did say that when I was saying priorities but I like the way it comes out above from the devotion.

I promise this is all on the connection

IN CHRIST
Ecc.3
Donna

Anonymous said...

Thanks Donna for clearing up the scripture. Our internet service was down for most of the day, so when it went back up we scrambled to get everything done.

A-Granny-r4 said...

Bible Trivia:

When satan placed boils on him, Job scratched them with:

a) Broken Pottery
b)
c)
d)
Job 2:6-8 (King James Version)

8 And he took him a potsherd (defined below) to scrape himself withal; and he sat down among the ashes

Potsherd
a "shred", i.e., anything severed, as a fragment of earthenware (Job 2:8; Prov. 26:23; Isa. 45:9).

IN CHRIST
Ecc.3
Donna