Sunday, April 22, 2007

1 Kings 5-7


Insight Into Scripture

Since Friday's devotional we have started 1 Kings. King David passed away and Solomon was established as king after his father David. (2:10)
GOD came to Solomon in a dream and asked what Solomon desired. Solomon answered that he wished for wisdom; this impressed GOD, so GOD gave not only wisdom, but wealth and honor, and long life if Solomon obeyed His commands. (3:10ff)In chapter 5 we start with Solomon preparing to build the Temple.

Blessings~
The picture to the left is a drawing of how Solomon's Temple may have looked. Did you note how Solomon put YAHWEH first? Solomon built the temple of the LORD, then he built his own palace.
Solomon was said to be the wisest man on earth, as we are reading 1 Kings see if you can pick up on some of his characteristics.

Join Our Facebook Family


Scripture Reading
3 "You know that David my father could not build a house for the name of the LORD his God because of the warfare with which his enemies surrounded him, until the LORD put them under the soles of his feet. 4 But now the LORD my God has given me rest on every side. There is neither adversary nor misfortune. 5 And so I intend to build a house for the name of the LORD my God, as the LORD said to David my father, 'Your son, whom I will set on your throne in your place, shall build the house for my name.' 1 Kings 5:3-5 ESV

Thought for the Day
If you flip back to 2 Samuel 7, you might remember how David had the desire to build The LORD's Temple. But, YAHWEH came to the prophet Nathan and told him to tell David that HE had other plans for David and not to worry about the Temple right now.
Have you ever been in David's shoes? You had this idea or desire to do or start something for GOD, but, when you started that project it seemed like you encounter all kinds of resistance? In fact maybe the project never got off the ground and died, and you stepped back in confusion and wondered why? If it weren't for GOD, would not all be good?
I have experienced just that. I started a pastor training program at my church. Just when I started I was diagnosed with my disease and I had to stop. It was a very confusing time. I could not understand why GOD would not want me to become a pastor??? As I became better I started the program again for the second time, and again I became sick right away. It was like GOD was saying "I have other plans for you, but you are not listening!!" Finally I gave up the dream and started listening to GOD. Guess what, things started to move in my life.
Are you at that point in your life where you are pushing and pushing to make something happen, and nothing is. Maybe you are like David; GOD has other plans for your life, but you are so busy pushing your way, you can't hear what GOD is trying to tell you. Stop, be still, and hear GOD, let Him move you in the path HE needs you.

Closing Prayer
Dear Jesus
Praise You Father for all the many blessings I experience everyday. Thank You for loving me so much that You forgive me for being so human. Father I pray today that You will help me to make sure I listen to You and I move where You want me to move, not where I think I should move. I pray that You will give me the discernment to know the difference.
I love You and I pray In Your Name,
Amen.

Submit Your Prayer Request

2 comments:

A-Granny-r4 said...

Bible Trivia

What wayward prophet actually complained that GOD is "A gracious GOD, and merciful, slow to anger, and great of kindness"?

ANSWER: Jonah

1- But Jonah was greatly displeased and became angry.
2- He prayed to the LORD, "O LORD, is this not what I said when I was still at home? That is why I was so quick to flee to Tarshish. I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity.

Sorry all I could do was to answer the Trivia and read devottion. Jim I hope I remember to tell you of something you and I have in common that I read in the devotion, studying for the ministry. We have our district counsel meettings this week and tonight is Missions and I am running.

Kim and Jim have a blessed night and post tomorrow.

IN CHRIST
Ecc. 3
Donna

Anonymous said...

I will remind you!

You will have to tell me how the meeting went!

You have a good night, our net access has been off all day.