Wednesday, April 11, 2007

2 Samuel 3-5


Insight Into Scripture

There is alot of references to concubines. Concubines were women without dowry, who include among their duties providing children to the family.

Blessings
In our readings today, the LORD went out before David as he struck down the Philistines from Gibeon to Gezer. This is a picture of Gezer. To see more pictures of Gezer click on the picture. These photographs are taken from Bibleplaces.com.

Scripture Reading
9 But David answered Rechab and Baanah his brother, the sons of Rimmon the Beerothite, "As the LORD lives, who has redeemed my life out of every adversity, 10 when one told me, 'Behold, Saul is dead,' and thought he was bringing good news, I seized him and killed him at Ziklag, which was the reward I gave him for his news. 11 How much more, when wicked men have killed a righteous man in his own house on his bed, shall I not now require his blood at your hand and destroy you from the earth?" 12 And David commanded his young men, and they killed them and cut off their hands and feet and hanged them beside the pool at Hebron. But they took the head of Ish- bosheth and buried it in the tomb of Abner at Hebron. - 2 Samuel 2:9-12 ESV

Thought for the Day
David was a great leader. Some of our best leaders today, lead by example. I am sure that you have either worked for them or have seen them in action. In verse 3:36 the Bible states that David's people were pleased with him.

Integrity was another one of David's traits. I believe there is not much integrity left in the world today. It is a dog eat dog world, do anything to get on top. We need to be a shining example of YAHWEH's integrity.

When Recab and Baanah brought David the head of his enemy, David had every right to rejoice. But David did not, the way Ish-Bosheth was killed was wrong, and David set an example to others.

How is your integrity on a scale from 1 to 10? Integrity defined in the dictionary states: "Steadfast adherence to a strict moral or ethical code." I believe that we should up that definition one more and add "To YAHWEH's Code." If you are shopping at a store and the clerk gives you too much money back, do you pocket it and think that it was their mistake, not yours. Or do you return the money and share what happened. You never know, you might just open a door to share your faith!

Closing Prayer
Dear Jesus
Father thank You for the rainy days and the fresh air. Thank You for the many many blessings You give me everyday, that I really do not deserve. Father I pray that You mold me and make me into a better Christian. A honest heart that only wants to serve You. Father I pray for the pain and sorrows of all the insecurities in ourselves. Please help me to remember that all that matters is You and what is best for Your kingdom.
I love You and I pray in Your Name,
Amen

Need Prayer: Submit Request Here

3 comments:

A-Granny-r4 said...

Bible Trivia
What disciple was martyred by an angry, screaming crowd after a critical speech to the Sanhedrin?
Hint: Acts 19:24, 26
Ok after first viewing this guestion and considering it to be Stephen as the answer. He truly stirred the Sankedrin in his own right. I decided to look at the scriptures that went with the HINT....After reading, I decided I might need to look a little further and see if I was missing something, after I read further, I still could be missing it! But the Hint passages are speaking things of Paul and as for Paul he to stirred many, even to being imprisoned for 2 years. It is recorded tha his death was about 68ad and cause is not recorded, I hope I am right....

So I will have to stay with my original answer: STHEPHEN, until someone tells me differently....

IN CHRIST
Ecc.3
Donna

Anonymous said...

You know I was watching the movie The Nativity Story. I could not help to think that all the children that were killed when Herod was trying to find and kill Little Baby Jesus..... they would be some of the first martyrs. They died for Jesus.
I was looking at a picture book that a good friend gave us, and they have a picture/memorial of the little bones and skulls of the children that were killed. :(

A-Granny-r4 said...

Oh WOW another one of those stories that has been read and heard from many of a pulpit in my life time. When I hear it it brings tears to me, just thinking about little babies being killed is so so sad. That as it is WOW Jim you are so right I have never never heard it spoke of in the context of them being Martyrs but what else could that be..... I would consider that one of those nuggets that has been hid from me until koow , not sure about you and it being a new revelation but it is a WOW factor for me.... will never forget and come Christmas I am sure I will use....COOL COOL COOL....