Tuesday, May 15, 2007

1 Chronicles 14-16

Do You Inquire? - 1 Chronicles 14-16
Insight Into Scripture
Today in chapter 14 we read how King David defeats the Philistines twice, his fame was quickly spreading throughout the land.
Chapters 15 & 16 tell how King David, for the second time tried to bring the Ark back to Jerusalem. He was successful, and there was much rejoicing in the land!

Bringing the Bible Alive
This is a photo of the Ark of GOD (15:1) It is a model, but it is life size. This is an amazing article. It was YAHWEH on earth. There were 3 items in the Ark; The Ten Commandments, the rod of Aaron that blossomed, and the pot of manna. This is actually a park in Israel that is a a life-size replica of the biblical tabernacle. These photos were taken from Bibleplaces.

Scripture Reading
9 Now the Philistines had come and made a raid in the Valley of Rephaim. 10 And David inquired of God, "Shall I go up against the Philistines? Will you give them into my hand?" And the LORD said to him, "Go up, and I will give them into your hand."
13 And the Philistines yet again made a raid in the valley. 14 And when David again inquired of God, God said to him, "You shall not go up after them; go around and come against them opposite the balsam trees. 15 And when you hear the sound of marching in the tops of the balsam trees, then go out to battle, for God has gone out before you to strike down the army of the Philistines." 16 And David did as God commanded him, and they struck down the Philistine army from Gibeon to Gezer.
13 Because you did not carry it the first time, the LORD our God broke out against us, because we did not seek him according to the rule." - 1 Chronicles 14:9- 10, 13-16, 15:13 ESV

Thought for the Day
In chapter 13 we read where David had the right heart and motives. He wanted to bring the Ark back to Jerusalem, so he set out on what he thought was right, but along the way the Ark began to slip and a man; Uzzah reached to catch it. The LORD's anger burned against Uzzah and HE killed him. At face value you would think, "What are you doing LORD? They were just trying to do the right thing?"
Then we read in chapter 14 where David inquired of the LORD before he took action, and YAHWEH gave him victory. In fact the second time in verses 14:13 it is like GOD wanted to have fun, HE wanted to be involved in the fight. HE could have told David; "Yes, go and attack, and I will give them to you." No, it is like the LORD said let's do this together, I want to be involved. So when you hear the wind in the balsam trees, that is I.
Then in verse 15:13 David made the connection of why Uzzah died. He did not inquire of GOD, he did not involve Him even though his motives where right.
GOD wants so badly to be involved in your life. Do you include him? Or do you go about your whole day without even including HIM in any decision or situation that you have to make? Not only the "Life and Death" decisions, but the little ones?I believe in saying breath prayers all day long. I try to talk to GOD all day long, I even ask HIM silly questions, like where should I plant this tree? Watching me you might think that I am silly, I do sometimes talk out loud to HIM, my wife says that I look funny talking to myself, call me crazy for Christ. :)
If you are not including Jesus in your day to day decisions, try it. I think that you might find GOD has a sense of humor and things just might start going your way more often, like David with the Philistines.

Closing Prayer
Dear Jesus
Thank You Father for always being open to me. Thank You for always letting me just talk to You. I know that that is a desire of Yours, to be closer, and I too want that very much. I pray Father that I can gain that more and more everyday. I pray that I can just pour out my heart to You and not worry about the words or the proper prayer.
I love You Father, I pray in Your name,
Amen.

2 comments:

A-Granny-r4 said...

Bible Trivia

According to the Proverbs, a gentle answer turns away what?
a) Wrath
b) Enemies
c) Arguments
d) Lawsuits

ANSWER: a) Wrath

Proverbs 15:1
1 A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

Unknown said...

I know that we all could try and live that more.