Wednesday, May 16, 2007

1 Chronicles 17-20

Your Dreams - 1 Chronicles 17-20
Insight Into Scripture
Today we read in chapter 17 how King David had the desire to build GOD a temple, but we find out that YAHWEH had a different plan.We then finish off with the different battles that David fought.

Bringing the Bible Alive
This is an artist's drawing of Solomon's Bronze Sea. The bronze that Solomon used came from his father; King David. (1 Chronicles 18:8) The Bronze Sea is held up by twelve oxen. The Bronze Sea held about 16,000 gallons of water. In the Bronze Sea priests washed their feet and hands. The Bronze Sea stood about 14 feet high. It always just amazes me what structures they built without our modern day tools.

Scripture Reading
1 Now when David lived in his house, David said to Nathan the prophet, "Behold, I dwell in a house of cedar, but the ark of the covenant of the LORD is under a tent." 2 And Nathan said to David, "Do all that is in your heart, for God is with you."
3 But that same night the word of the LORD came to Nathan, "Go and tell my servant David, 'Thus says the LORD: It is not you who will build me a house to dwell in. 5 For I have not lived in a house since the day I brought up Israel to this day, but I have gone from tent to tent and from dwelling to dwelling. 6 In all places where I have moved with all Israel, did I speak a word with any of the judges of Israel, whom I commanded to shepherd my people, saying, "Why have you not built me a house of cedar?"' - 1 Chronicles 17:1-6 ESV

Thought for the Day
As we have been reading about David, one could tell he had a heart for GOD. He was always thinking of ways to please HIM. Yesterday, we read about how David tried to bring back the Ark. Today, we read about how David wanted to build GOD a palace for HIS Ark to rest in. Yes, David did have a heart for GOD.
If all you wanted to do was to desperately please a person, and you came up with this great idea, even your friend said it was a good idea. But, when your idea got back to the person it was for, they said they did not want it, I can imagine you would get your feelings hurt. This is what happened to David.
In your life, your dreams may not match up to GOD's plans. Even if your dreams have the right motives and heart, it may not be where GOD needs you or wants you. I know this all to well. I want to be a pastor so badly, but through events in my life, like my sickness, it was like GOD was telling me, "I know your dreams, but I know better, and where I am going to take you, you will be blessed; trust me." It took me a while to accept that, and if GOD presented me with the opportunity again, I would jump at it. Maybe, like David I will live my dreams through my son; the future Pastor.
So, I know it is hard not to live your dreams, but GOD is sovereign, we need to have the acceptance and praise that David had in 17:16-27. He did not pout or get mad, I bet that he could have even started the temple, but he would have not had GOD's blessing on it. No, David knew that GOD was/is in control and knows best for him and us.
One other thought........ notice how GOD does not need a fancy place to live in. HE was happy to live in a tent just like HIS people, and move from place to place, just like HIS people. All GOD needs is your welcoming heart. :)

Closing Prayer
Dear Jesus
Thank You for this day Lord, for the sun that rises to shine in my face everyday. Father I pray that I will dream big, because I know that You can do things beyond my wildest imagination, but Father give me the strength and courage to take the times when my dreams are not Your plans. I know Father that Your plan is always alot better than what I can even wish for myself. Than You for that surprise You always have for me.
I love You and I pray in Your name, Amen.

2 comments:

A-Granny-r4 said...

Bible Trivia:
How did the Roman soldiers hasten the deaths of the robbers crucified with Jesus?

ANSWER:
c) By breaking their legs

John 19:32
32. Then came the soldiers, and brake the legs of the first, and of the other which was crucified with him.

COMMENT:
Read just 4 verses down:

36. For these things were done, that the scripture should be fulfilled, A bone of him shall not be broken.

Now we all know that this is referring to Jesus. Now lets go to a verse in the Old Testament. I always love to see when things were written of things to come. So I looked back at:

Exodus 12:46
46. In one house shall it be eaten; thou shalt not carry forth ought of the flesh abroad out of the house; NEITHER SHALL YE BREAK A BONE THEREOF.

This passage points us to the most life changing event that will happen 1500 years in the future, the crucifixion of Gods Son and the Saviour of all. who is the true and final Pssover Lmb, the One that would take away all sin. Jesus was crucified as a common man, and the custom was to break the legs. The order of God was not a bone of Him be broken. The fulfilment of this is seen in John 19:33,36.

So as we notice in the trivia the two cricified with Jesus bones were broken as was the custom. As I said above Gods words were fulfilled in that Our Saviors were Not......

IN CHRIST
Ecc.3
Donna

Unknown said...

AMEN!