Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Psalm 18-22

Praying the Psalms - Psalm 18-22

Listen to Psalm 18-22

Insight Into Scripture
Blessings! I am so excited for today's devotional. It has an amazing Psalm in it. The direction we are going while reading the Psalms is, a lot of the time like when we read the Bible. We look for lessons, guidance, and theology. As we read through the Psalms, I would like to turn the analytical part of our brains off, and I would like to turn on the sensory and feeling parts on.
Alot of the Psalms were written as prayers and songs to GOD. They were written by men who were seeking the face of GOD, praising GOD, and crying out for help. I believe that we should read them as they were meant to be.

Book 1 Chapters 1 - 41
Psalm 18 is a song that David sang when the LORD delivered him out the hand of his enemy; Saul. This is a great "GOD is my Rock" Psalm. The words refuge, saved, rescued, and delivered appear quite a few times in this Psalm.

Psalm 19 is a Psalm of David that speaks of the value of the Word of GOD. Psalm 119 is another famous Psalm that is like this. You really get into the meat of this Psalm in verses 7-13.
Psalm 20 was written by David. It is a Psalm of trusting GOD in times of trouble. If you read this Psalm it was written as it was written for David, and not by David.
Psalm 21 is again written by king David. It is a Psalm that rejoices in the LORD's strength.
Psalm 22 just fascinates me. If you are like me, I want to get into the mind of Christ. We read a lot of His teachings, and the Bible show a little of His emotions, but, you do not read much about Jesus the human. I would imagine this would be for good reason, Jesus is not about Himself, He is about us, loving us, and what He did for us. That is why Psalm 22 is so neat. David wrote this hundreds of years before Christ was even born, and in this Psalm David captures the exact feeling of Christ on the Cross, in fact Christ quotes David in the first line. Below are portions from Psalm 22, as you are reading, picture that you are there, when Jesus was crucified. You are looking up at Him, weeping, and these are the thoughts that are going through His mind.

1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Why are you so far from saving me, so far from the words of my groaning?
6 But I am a worm and not a man, scorned by men and despised by the people.
7 All who see me mock me; they hurl insults, shaking their heads:
11 Do not be far from me,for trouble is nearand there is no one to help.
12 Many bulls surround me; strong bulls of Bashan encircle me.
13 Roaring lions tearing their prey open their mouths wide against me.
14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint.My heart has turned to wax; it has melted away within me.
15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd,and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth;you lay me in the dust of death.
16 Dogs have surrounded me; a band of evil men has encircled me,they have pierced my hands and my feet.
17 I can count all my bones;people stare and gloat over me.
18 They divide my garments among themand cast lots for my clothing.

31 They will proclaim his righteousness
to a people yet unborn- (Us)
for he has done it.
Thank You Jesus, I love you.

1 comment:

A-Granny-r4 said...

Bible Trivia:

What great king of Israel did Jesus once quote from the book of
Psalms?

ANSWER: David

39 Some of the teachers of the law responded, "Well said, teacher!" 40 And no one dared to ask him any more questions.
Whose Son Is the Christ?
41 Then Jesus said to them, "How is it that they say the Christ[a]is the Son of David?
42 David himself declares in the Book of Psalms:
" 'The Lord said to my Lord:
"Sit at my right hand
43 until I make your enemies
a footstool for your feet." '[b]
44 David calls him 'Lord.' How then can he be his son?"