Thursday, June 28, 2007

Psalm 23-30

Your Prayer Life - Psalm 23-30

Listen to Psalm 23-30

Insight Into Scripture
Good Morning, it is Friday!! Did you like yesterday's devotional? Is that not just neat, the connection between king David and Jesus? If you are just joining us, the direction we are taking while reading the Psalms is, a lot of the time like when we read the Bible. We look for lessons, guidance, and theology. As we read through the Psalms, I would like to turn the analytical part of our brains off, and I would like to turn on the sensory and feeling parts.
Alot of the Psalms were written as prayers and songs to GOD. They were written by men who were seeking the face of GOD, praising GOD, and crying out for help. I believe that we should read them as they were meant to be.

Book 1 Chapters 1 - 41Psalm 23 is known as The Shepherds' Psalm, and I am sure that at sometime in your life you have heard it. It was written by David as a psalm of trusting GOD.
Psalm 24 is a short psalm of David. This psalm exalts GOD as the king of glory
Psalm 25 is a psalm of David. It is a psalm of penitence. There are certain parts that I really appreciate and
verses 4 & 5 really sum up this psalm.
Psalm 26 is a psalm of David. In this psalm David expresses that he will bless the LORD.
Psalm 27 is yes, another psalm of David. It is a psalm of trust where David expresses that the LORD is his light and salvation.
Psalm 28 is a psalm of David, where he expresses that the LORD is his strength and his shield.
Psalm 30 is a psalm of David. It was a song that was sung at the dedication of the temple.
Psalm 29 is the psalm that I would like to focus on today. How is your prayer life? It seems like when we become busy our prayers become shorter and shorter and more to the point. Usually that point is what we need.
"Dear Lord, Please help me at work today, I need money so I can pay my bills, please give me patience with my kids today, help Aunt Suzie get over her sickness, Amen."
Does that sound familiar? Let me give you another example. We have a 13 YO son, most of the time, life revolves around his needs. Dad, I need money, why do I not have a cell phone, I am having trouble with a kid at school, Mom is being unfair, No, I do not want to do that....... and on and on. I do not mind answering him or being there for him, that is why GOD chose me as a parent, but sometimes I would like to just talk to him, no struggle, no wants, just talk back and forth.
There is no way that I am even comparing myself to GOD, but I can imagine that is how GOD feels at times. He LONGS to just talk with you. These psalms are a great way to just talk with GOD. A majority of the psalms are songs and prayers just praising GOD, if you do not spend some of your prayer time praising GOD I would encourage you to do so. We serve such an amazing GOD, if you spend time thinking about HIM, it just humbles you.
Below is Psalm 29, it is a wonderful psalm praising HIS majesty. Do not read the words, pray them to the LORD!
Ascribe to the LORD, O heavenly beings,
ascribe to the LORD glory and strength.
Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name;
worship the LORD in the splendor of holiness.

The voice of the LORD is over the waters;
the God of glory thunders,
the LORD, over many waters.
The voice of the LORD is powerful;
the voice of the LORD is full of majesty.

The voice of the LORD breaks the cedars;
the LORD breaks the cedars of Lebanon.
He makes Lebanon to skip like a calf,
and Sirion like a young wild ox.

The voice of the LORD flashes forth flames of fire.
The voice of the LORD shakes the wilderness;
the LORD shakes the wilderness of Kadesh.

The voice of the LORD makes the deer give birth
and strips the forests bare,
and in his temple all cry, "Glory!"

The LORD sits enthroned over the flood;
the LORD sits enthroned as king forever.
May the LORD give strength to his people!
May the LORD bless his people with peace!

2 comments:

A-Granny-r4 said...

Bible Trivia:

What moldable material, according to Jeremiah, represented Israel in the hands of GOD?

Jeremiah 18:1-6

ANSWER: clay

Jeremiah 18:4
But the vessel that he was making of clay was spoiled in the hand of the potter; so he remade it into another vessel, as it pleased the potter to make.

A-Granny-r4 said...

When I read the scriptures referenced to CLAY I think of many stories using clay to teach a life or Godly principal. I am posting one that I think of OFTEN when I think of our life as Clay. The story is using a pot but when I think of pots I think clay. Many have probably read this but I thought of it so maybe it is needed to remind, encourage someone how valuable we ALL are to God.


THE BROKEN POT

A water bearer in India had two large pots, each hung on the ends of a pole which he carried across his neck. One of the pots had a crack in it, while the other pot was perfect and always delivered a full portion of water.

At the end of the long walk from the stream to the house, the cracked pot arrived only half full. For a full two years this went on daily, with the bearer delivering only one and a half pots full of water to his house.

Of course, the perfect pot was proud of its accomplishments, perfect for which it was made. But the poor cracked pot was ashamed of its own imperfection, and miserable that it was able to accomplish only half of what it had been made to do.

After two years of what it perceived to be a bitter failure, it spoke to the water bearer one day by the stream. “I am ashamed of myself, and I want to apologize to you. I have been able to deliver only half my load because this crack in my side causes water to leak out all the way back to your house. Because of my flaws, you have to do a lot of this work, and you don’t get full value from your efforts,” the pot said.

The bearer said to the pot, “Did you notice that there were flowers only on your side of the path, but not on the other pot’s side? That’s because I have always known about your flaw, and I planted flower seeds on your side of the path, and every day while we walk back, you’ve watered them.

For two years I have been able to pick these beautiful flowers to decorate the table. Without you being just the way you are, there would not be this beauty to grace the house.”

Each of us has our own unique flaws. We’re all cracked pots. But it’s the cracks and flaws we each have that make our lives together so very interesting and rewarding.

IN CHRIST LOVE
Ecc.3
Donna