Sunday, August 5, 2007

Religion or Relationship? - Isaiah 27-31

Religion or Relationship? - Isaiah 27-31

Listen to Isaiah 27-31

Good Monday Morning! I hope that you have had a great weekend!As you are reading these chapters, always keep in mind that Isaiah is warning Israel and Judah's kings and people of what is to come. But, we have already read what has happened in 1 & 2 Kings and The Chronicles. So, what you are reading here, has already taken place in your Bible.
There were two thoughts that I had while I was reading today. First, Isaiah is a great book of poetry that uses great imagery. One example is verse 28:20
"For the bed is too short to stretch oneself on,
and the covering too narrow to wrap oneself in."

The other thought that I had, I do not know how people could say the Bible is boring? It is anything but boring, with a lot of "In your face", bold statements like the one in 30:22
"Then you will defile your idols overlaid with silver and your images covered with gold;
you will throw them away like a menstrual cloth and say to them, "Away with you!"

That does not leave much to the imagination, does it?

Woe's to Ephraim, Judah, and Who Trust in EgyptThe Lord says:
"These people come near to me with their
mouth and honor me with their lips, but
their hearts are far from me. Their
worship of me is made up only of rules
taught by men." - Isaiah 29:13

Thought for the Day
This is one verse or concept that has been very dear to my heart. It is something that GOD has burdened me with, and my heart goes out to this cause. This is one of the reasons that most of our Christian Churches are not doing well. This is the defining difference between "Organized Religion" and a real, living relationship with JESUS CHRIST!

It is so easy to play "A Christian" is it not? I know because I played "A Christian" for a long time. I would go to church, play the good "Christian" man, act holy and loving. Sing all the "Christian" songs, listen to the "Christian" message, and say "Amen" when there was a good point in the sermon. But, then as soon as I hit the doors, and I was driving home from church I was a different person.

I was not being faithful to my wife, I was selling drugs over the internet, I was a self-centered, angry jerk. Right Kim? (I would use more vivid words, but I do not want to offend anyone) so jerk is a very nice and kind word that would describe me.

What kind of a "Christian" was I being? TERRIBLE! Just imagine if someone knew that I attended church. They would see me go to church, be holy, then lead a life that was NOT pleasing to Jesus. Why in the world would that person want to come to my church. Why would they need my religion or my Jesus? To answer your question; They would not, they could do all that stuff without Jesus or my church.

I know that there are alot of people in the church like that today. They live the "Christian" life at church, but they are totally different outside the church. A relationship with Jesus is a 24/7 deal, not a 1 hour Sunday meeting. We need to show the world that we are different, we do have something they do not have. It needs to be so evident in our lives, that other people will say, "I want what they have!"

Some of you may say, well then forget the church, I will just do my own thing with a couple of people. Almost start an "Organic" Church. But, this is not what Jesus intended the church to be either. A church is a group of people, supporting each other, while we do life together. We are not perfect, but we are working together towards one goal, supporting each other! Yes, instead of blowing off the church, we need to fix our churches. Be the one that makes the difference. Be the one that the other person says, "I WANT WHAT THEY HAVE!" - Have a great day Jim :)

Bible Trivia
What civic duty did the chief priests and scribes hope to use to get Jesus in trouble with Caesar
Hint: Luke 20:19-26

Gods411 Interactive
Archived Devotionals - Look up past devotionals
Video Devotionals! Get a Overview of Our Lessons
Find Your Answers - Gods411 Topical Bible
Find Your Prayer - Praying the Bible
Wisdom of Proverbs - Search by Topic

Reading Schedule
Monday, August 7th Reading - Isaiah 32-37
View August's Reading Schedule
Have a BLESSED Monday!!
Gods411.com Ministries

2 comments:

A-Granny-r4 said...

Oh, If I could only count the ways that I have tried to think of ways to fix this. It is so hard also when you are confronted by someone that has been mislead by foney Christians, to break through the wall that they have put up against organized church.

As with ya'll Jim and Kim, the answer I most often come to, is to make sure that my life is not one that is misleading. Also, that I am always ready to LOVE those that have been so deceived.

A-Granny-r4 said...

Bible Trivia:

What civic duty did the chief priests and scribes hope to use to get Jesus in trouble with Caesar

ANSWER: paying of taxes.

Luke 20:19-26
22 Is it right for us to pay taxes to Caesar or not?"