Sunday, September 2, 2007

Ezekiel 10-13

Are You Honest with GOD? - Ezekiel 10-13

Happy Labor Day! I hope that you are enjoying this last big three day weekend before the fall season.
Over the weekend we started Ezekiel. Ezekiel was an Israelite priest and prophet who was taken to Babylon with the first wave of captives from Judah around 598 B.C.Ezekiel contains a variety of prophetic visions and oracles, which Ezekiel presented to the exiles over a 22 year period. Ezekiel has some bizarre visions that are quite interesting to read. Chapters 1 and 2 are a great examples.If you have an artist or if you connect with GOD through an expression of art, here is a neat exercise. Read Ezekiel 1, then draw what you are reading. If you like, send your drawing to me and I will post it in the devotional.

Jeremiah 20:7-13 ESV
7 O LORD, you have deceived me,
and I was deceived;
you are stronger than I,
and you have prevailed.
I have become a laughingstock all the day;
everyone mocks me.
8 For whenever I speak, I cry out,
I shout, "Violence and destruction!
"For the word of the LORD has become for mea reproach and derision all day long.
9 If I say, "I will not mention him,
or speak any more in his name,
"there is in my heart as it were a burning fire
shut up in my bones,
and I am weary with holding it in,
and I cannot.
10 For I hear many whispering.

Terror is on every side!
"Denounce him! Let us denounce him!"
say all my close friends,
watching for my fall.
"Perhaps he will be deceived;
then we can overcome him
and take our revenge on him."
11 But the LORD is with me as a dread warrior;
therefore my persecutors will stumble;
they will not overcome me.
They will be greatly shamed,
for they will not succeed.
Their eternal dishonor
will never be forgotten.
12 O LORD of hosts, who tests the righteous,
who sees the heart and the mind,
let me see your vengeance upon them,
for to you have I committed my cause.
13 Sing to the LORD;
praise the LORD!
For he has delivered the life of the needy
from the hand of evildoers.

Thought for the Day
While I work I listen to a lot of sermons, podcasts from various pastors that I like. I was listening to one that got me thinking about Jeremiah again, so I went back and visited our friend Jeremiah.

One trait that I admire about Jeremiah, was how he was honest with GOD. Let's face it, if you move to the front line in GOD's army, there are going to be things that GOD asks you to do which will be difficult. You may not be the most popular person, you may be ridiculed, and even not liked by non-believers, and yes, even other believers.

I believe that a good test of your relationship with Christ is your ability to be honest with Him. There were several occasions where Jeremiah complained to GOD; See Jeremiah 11:18-12:6; 15:10-21; 17:14-18; 18:18- 23; 20:7-13, 14-18. In these passages you will read where Jeremiah expresses his frustrations of being GOD's prophet.

So, how honest are you with GOD? Do you tell HIM when you are sad, mad, hurt, frustrated, or are just struggling to keep it all together? Please do not misunderstand me, being honest with GOD is not bashing, or being hurtful to HIM. There should always be the underlying respect and honor for who HE is. Being honest means acknowledging who GOD is, but telling HIM, I do not get this!

One experience that I had, when I was very sick, I was very angry at GOD. I remember nights in bed yelling at HIM, "I do not understand", I asked HIM repeatedly "What are you doing to me?" "WHY?" Through this experience my relationship with HIM grew. My honesty took our relationship to a new level, I now know that I can be very honest with HIM and have HIM still love me the same, plus, I felt much better getting those feelings off my chest. HE knows what you are feeling and thinking anyway, so why not verbally express it?

If you are not at the point in your relationship where you are honest with GOD. Move in that direction. It is very emotionally freeing and you will find yourself in a deeper friendship with Jesus. :)

Bible Trivia
What did GOD ask Ezekiel to eat?
Hint: Ezekiel 3:1-3

Gods411 Interactive
Archived Devotionals - Look up past devotionals
Video Devotionals! Get a Overview of Our Lessons
Find Your Answers - Gods411 Topical Bible
Find Your Prayer - Praying the Bible
Wisdom of Proverbs - Search by Topic

Reading Schedule
View September's Reading Schedule

Our Church Plant
A group of us are starting a church in Ocean Shores, WA. Please visit our web site; The Connection to watch us grow.
We would love your opinions as a believer or non- believer, please visit our Questionnaire Page. Please forward this page to your friends and family if you like, we need your input.
We need and would covet your prayers! Since we have started this, satan has been right there, the spiritual warfare has been pretty heavy. If you would like to commit to prayer for us, please visit our Prayer Page page.
Enjoy Your Labor Day!

No comments: