Sunday, May 26, 2013

Help! Which Choice Should I Make?





Insight Into the Scriptures Genesis 13-15
I am not sure if you caught this; King Kedorlaomer, had suppressed several kings for 12 to 13 years, and took Lot and his possessions in the 14 year. Abram defeated him in one night with God and 318 men.
View January's Reading Schedule

Do you see a trend that Abram is doing? Whenever God moved with Abram, or Abram felt a connection, Abram would build an altar. See verses 12:7-8, 13:4, 13:18. Abram would also return to these altars to remember what God had done.

Most of us are not nomadic like Abram moving from place to place, but, do you have a way of remembering when God moves in your life? I have a journal, it is a great way of recording when God moves and it is nice to return to it and remember the good times and reflect on the bad times too.

Genesis 13:8-13 - NIV
"So Abram said to Lot, "Let's not have any quarreling between you and me, or between your herdsmen and mine, for we are brothers. Is not the whole land before you? Let's part company. If you go to the left, I'll go to the right; if you go to the right, I'll go to the left."
Lot looked up and saw that the whole plain of the Jordan was well watered, like the garden of the LORD, like the land of Egypt, toward Zoar. (This was before the LORD destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah.) So Lot chose for himself the whole plain of the Jordan and set out toward the east. The two men parted company: Abram lived in the land of Canaan, while Lot lived among the cities of the plain and pitched his tents near Sodom. Now the men of Sodom were wicked and were sinning greatly against the LORD."

Thought for the Day
Lot was a good business man, and a righteous man. But, Lot when he had to make a decision took the easy way out and usually thought of himself. In the above passages when Lot had to make a decision where to go, Lot took the easy way. He took the land that looked better, he thought of himself first, not Abram, just Lot.

As you read on you will see that Lot's decision to take the easy way out backfires immediately. First, he is living next to wicked men that were sinning greatly. Secondly he was taken by Kedorlaomer and had to be rescued by Abram. And I am sure you have heard the story of him and his wife fleeing from Sodom.

When faced with a decision do you choose the easy road, or maybe the road that will have the most benefits for you? I know that I am just as guilty as anyone, I have taken the easy road before. Yes, God's road might be a bit more difficult and not as glamorous, but I can promise you His road will be filled with God type blessings

Closing Prayer
Dear Jesus, I know that in the past I have taken the easy way out. Jesus, I do not want to take the easy way out anymore. I know that Your way may be more difficult but, in the end Your blessings are amazing. Please Jesus give me the strength and wisdom to choose Your way. I love You Jesus, thank You.
In Your Name,
Amen

No comments: