Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Tired Of Waiting For God?



Insight Into the Scriptures - Genesis 40-42
A cup bearer was a high ranking member of a monarch's court. He would have been a trusted individual, he was to taste all of Pharaoh's food so he would not be poisoned.

As we continue to read the story of Joseph I had a question about the story. When Joseph was raised to power in Verses 41:41 and he was in charge of all the land storing up food for 7 years. Why did he not seek out his family? I wonder if it was to painful, or maybe he had some bitter feelings he had to work through?

Genesis 40:14-15, 23, 40-43 NIV
"But when all goes well with you, remember me and show me kindness; mention me to Pharaoh and get me out of this prison. For I was forcibly carried off from the land of the Hebrews, and even here I have done nothing to deserve being put in a dungeon."The chief cup bearer  however, did not remember Joseph; he forgot him.
You shall be in charge of my palace, and all my people are to submit to your orders. Only with respect to the throne will I be greater than you."So Pharaoh said to Joseph, "I hereby put you in charge of the whole land of Egypt." Then Pharaoh took his signet ring from his finger and put it on Joseph's finger. He dressed him in robes of fine linen and put a gold chain around his neck. He had him ride in a chariot as his second-in-command, and men shouted before him, "Make way !" Thus he put him in charge of the whole land of Egypt."

Thought for the Day
As we continue with one of my favorite stories in the Bible, here are a couple more "Life" lessons that we can learn from Joseph. God's timing is never our timing, but God's timing is always perfect. Joseph was taken into slavery when he was 17, but did not enter into Pharaoh's service until he was 30, 13 years of waiting. Plus, to make Joseph's situation worse, after the cup bearer was released, it took him 2 years to remember Joseph. Why did God make Joseph wait this long? Maybe God was doing some heart work on him, whatever God's case, Joseph was faithful in waiting.

Always give glory to God. We have seen a big turn around in Joseph. At first he was young and somewhat cocky. Now Joseph is humble and God's servant. When Pharaoh asked Joseph to interpret his dream, Joseph answered that he could not do it, but God could Joseph showed great humility. In verses 41:33 when Joseph told the Pharaoh that he needed to find someone to put in charge, Joseph did not offer his services, he trusted God and let him work.

Closing Prayer
Dear Jesus,
I know that Your timing is best for me. Please Jesus help increase my patience and learn to wait upon You. Help me to be satisfied in whatever situation You have me in. Thank You Jesus, I love You!
In Your Name,
Amen


No comments: