Friday, July 26, 2013

Do You Worship Idols?

Insight Into the Scriptures
Bulls and rams were the most prized and valuable stock animals, thus the sacrifice of these animals would have signified supreme effort. In verse 25:8 it speaks of a plague, epidemic disease that might have included typhoid, malaria, cholera, tuberculosis, anthrax, bubonic plague, diphtheria and more.

I can't tell you how important it is to spend time in God's word everyday. Last year I read through the entire Bible, so when I started this year, I thought this might be boring or dull. Just the opposite is true, the second time around, God is revealing much more of Himself to me. I am learning much more than last time.

Scripture Reading Numbers 25:10-13, 16-18
10And the LORD said to Moses, 11"Phinehas the son of Eleazar, son of Aaron the priest, has turned back my wrath from the people of Israel, in that he was jealous with my jealousy among them, so that I did not consume the people of Israel in my jealousy. 12Therefore say, 'Behold, I give to him my covenant of peace, 13and it shall be to him and to his descendants after him the covenant of a perpetual priesthood, because he was jealous for his God and made atonement for the people of Israel.'"
16 The LORD said to Moses, 17 "Treat the Midianites as enemies and kill them, 18 because they treated you as enemies when they deceived you in the affair of Peor and their sister Cozbi, the daughter of a Midianite leader, the woman who was killed when the plague came as a result of Peor."

Thought for the Day
There were two thoughts that came to mind while I was reading today's scripture. In verses 25:10-13 you will read how Phinehas showed zeal for the Lord, and how God was pleased with Phinehas.

Do you have that kind of zeal for the Lord? I would hope that you would not do the same as Phinehas did by grabbing a spear and killing the offender of God, but, what do you do when someone talks bad things about your Lord? I believe that the zeal Phinehas displayed was involuntary, he did not think about it, when he saw the Midianite women he took matters into his own hands, maybe he over reacted? But, God was pleased in what Phinehas did. That kind of zeal can only come from a life of loving and serving your King. It would be like if someone were trying to hurt your mom, dad, or children, how would you react? Would you sit passively by, or would you jump up and protect the ones you love? Do you have the same zeal for the Lord?

The second thought was our idol worship. Yes, we have idols, maybe you do not have a golden calf in your family room, but you might have a 50" High Def TV. ANYTHING that you put in front of Christ becomes an idol. It is amazing to me to listen to people that can watch 4 to 5 hours of TV a day, yet can't find a 1/2 hour to spend with Christ. Who is more important, the TV or Christ?

God compares idol worship to that of a marital affair. I do not know if you have experienced or known someone that has gone through an affair, but it is one of the most hurtful experiences in the world. Imagine us hurting Christ that much, the sadness and pain He must feel. Yet, he forgives us, only for us to do it to Him again. I would encourage you to examine your life for any idols, it is Ok to have that High Def TV, but who is getting more one on one time with you?

Closing Prayer
I pray Father that as I drive and see all the beauty around me, that You will help me to remember to thank You and realize just how much You give us everyday. Father i thank You for being in my life, I pray thought that I can focus more and more on you and not the world. I get so consumed sometimes that it is hard to stay focused, I pray that You will help me see and stop and pray and be with You, one on one. I love you Father with all of my heart!!
In Your Name I pray, Amen



No comments: