Thursday, July 25, 2013

Have You Encountered a Talking Donkey?

There are only two instances of animals talking; here in verses 22:28-30. And in Genesis when the serpent spoke to Eve. Donkeys were good all purpose means for transportation, and were highly dependable. This might have been why Balaam became angry with his donkey.

Don't you admire Moses' patience? It almost seems like every other chapter the Israelites are grumbling about God and Moses, God punishes them, they come running back to Moses, and Moses intercedes on their behalf.

Scripture Reading Numbers 22:26-34
26 Then the angel of the LORD went ahead and stood in a narrow place, where there was no way to turn either to the right or to the left. 27 When the donkey saw the angel of the LORD, she lay down under Balaam. And Balaam's anger was kindled, and he struck the donkey with his staff. 28 Then the LORD opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, "What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?" 29 And Balaam said to the donkey, "Because you have made a fool of me. I wish I had a sword in my hand, for then I would kill you." 30 And the donkey said to Balaam, "Am I not your donkey, on which you have ridden all your life long to this day? Is it my habit to treat you this way?" And he said, "No."

31 Then the LORD opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way, with his drawn sword in his hand. And he bowed down and fell on his face. 32 And the angel of the LORD said to him, "Why have you struck your donkey these three times? Behold, I have come out to oppose you because your way is perverse before me. 33 The donkey saw me and turned aside before me these three times. If she had not turned aside from me, surely just now I would have killed you and let her live." 34 Then Balaam said to the angel of the LORD, "I have sinned, for I did not know that you stood in the road against me. Now therefore, if it is evil in your sight, I will turn back."

Thought for the Day
When I was reading this story, and I came to the part where Balaam's donkey spoke to Balaam, the text made no mention that Balaam was surprised. The text just goes on with Balaam answering the donkey back, like this was a normal thing for donkeys to talk? I know that if my dog spoke to me I would have to pinch myself to see if I was in a dream, or call America's Funniest Animals on the Disney channel.

Besides my talking dog....... Have you ever really, really wanted something in your life? Whether it was buying something, or maybe it was in a relationship that you really wanted to work out. Or maybe it was a new job that you thought would suite you just right? I am sure that you know of a few more. When you have been in those situations, did it seem to just work out, maybe it took a little time, but everything went smoothly. Or did it seem like everything was a struggle, maybe it worked out, but you had to fight for every little thing?

I know that Christ wants the best for us, but, we are a stiff neck people like the Israelites. Yes, if we push hard enough Christ may let us have our ways, but, that is not Christ's will for us. Just like Balaam was receiving resistance from his donkey, he was so focused on the donkey and his mission he could not see the angel standing there, in fact the donkey (his resistance) saved Balaam's life.

When you are riding the wave of Christ's will, everything just seems to fall into place. Things that should have not worked out, do. You are blessed beyond what you wanted in the first place. The next time you are in one of those situations, look for donkeys (resistance), if you find you are coming across a lot of them, maybe you are outside of Christ's will. Step back, pray, and wait for signs of Christ. His will is the best place on the earth to be!

Closing Prayer
My Heavenly Father,Praise to You Father for all the great things You teach us, this great Word You give us so we can learn more about You and how much You love us. Father I pray today that I will sit and listen to You, that I will listen for Your directions. Help me Father to know that it is You and not me, help me to be patient and not push. I love You Father and know that You are great and know the best for me. Thank You!!
In Your Name I pray, Amen



No comments: