Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Is Revenge OK With God?




Insight Into Scripture 2 Kings 9-10
In today's reading we read how God anointed Jehu king. It was time for God to take HIS revenge on Jezebel and Ahab. Remember him? The most evil king in Israel? Eunuchs were officers entrusted with the care and supervision of the royal harem. They were usually castrated so they posed no threat to the women of the harem. (9:32)

Bringing the Bible Alive
This is the Harod Valley. In this valley we read about Jehu driving like a madman to kill the kings of Israel and Judah. This is also the area of Jezreel, Jezreel is where Jezebel was thrown out of a window and died. (9:32-33) Jezreel is surrounded by infamous mountains. See more pictures at Bibleplace.com

Scripture Reading
So he arose and went into the house. And the young man poured the oil on his head, saying to him, "Thus says the LORD the God of Israel, I anoint you king over the people of the LORD, over Israel. And you shall strike down the house of Ahab your master, so that I may avenge on Jezebel the blood of my servants the prophets, and the blood of all the servants of the LORD. For the whole house of Ahab shall perish, and I will cut off from Ahab every male, bond or free, in Israel. And I will make the house of Ahab like the house of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, and like the house of Baasha the son of Ahijah. And the dogs shall eat Jezebel in the territory of Jezreel, and none shall bury her." Then he opened the door and fled. - 2 Kings 9:6-10 

Think n Grow
Guaranteed Low Prices
I am sure that you have heard the verse in the Bible where GOD tells us "Revenge is Gods, HE will repay." I understand and believe that verse, but it is hard to apply to my life sometimes. In my life so far I have never had a reason to seek revenge, and I am not sure how I would react. Our time table for revenge is usually not the same as GOD's.

Remember back a couple of chapters in (1 Kings 19) where Jezebel was killing all of the LORD's prophets? Alot of them went into hiding including Elijah, I can imagine they where thinking "Where is GOD, does HE not care that we are dying and in hiding????" I know that GOD did care, but HIS time for revenge was not then.

The problem with revenge, is that if it is left unchecked it grows and grows, it will consume you. If you want to be filled with 100% of Jesus, to harbor feelings of revenge, some of Jesus has to leave us for the revenge to enter, and slowly the revenge pushes more and more of Christ out. Revenge is like carrying around luggage, it is heavy, and cumbersome. Christ wants to carry that baggage of revenge for us, He wants to relieve us of it. It is hard, I know...... but all you have to do is give it to Him. How much baggage are you lugging around? Search for books on revenge.

Submit Prayer Request
Closing Prayer
Dear Jesus
Father I pray that You will fill me up with Your never ending love. I pray Father for those that have a heavy heart for someone. I pray that they can be filled with You and let that angry heart go. I pray that they can make that step forward to stop the harsh feelings and fill up with You.
I love You and I pray in Jesus name, Amen

No comments: