Thursday, October 3, 2013

How Do I Please God?



Insight Into Scripture 2 Kings 16-17
In the last chapters you have read how there were kings that "Did right in the LORD's eyes" and ones that did not. The reign of these kings were in the year 700's. King Ahaz was one of the kings that did not do right in the LORD's eyes. He even went as far as to sacrifice his is son, known as "Passing Children Through Fire" to please his gods.

Bringing the Bible Alive
This is a picture of Samaria. This countryside originally belonged to the tribe of Manasseh. Sadly as Israel disobeyed God again and again, HE took this away from them and let them be handed over to the Assyrians. In 17:2 you will read how the king of Assyria bought people from Babylon and other countries to replace the Israelites.

Scripture Reading
They would not listen, however, but persisted in their former practices. Even while these people were worshiping the LORD, they were serving their idols. To this day their children and grandchildren continue to do as their fathers did. 2 Kings 17:40-41

Think n Grow
As I read this passage I was reminded of how the people in the Bible had many gods. God had been pursuing them, but serving a single god took a lot of faith. God could not be seen, so they made idols to satisfy their earthly desires of having a manmade image they could touch and feel. So, why did they take the time to worship God? Fear, insecurity , or maybe they wanted to appease HIM? They were definitely not pleasing HIM.

So why do you make an effort to do Godly things? By doing Godly things I am referring to; going to church, reading your Bible or Christian books, listening to Christian music, or reading this devotional. I know that when I was growing up I had a fear of God, if I did not do these Christian things, GOD would be mad at me and punish me. I was trying to appease God.

I looked up the definition of "appease" in the dictionary, it meant to satisfy. Yes, that was what I was trying to do. I wanted to satisfy GOD so He would be kind to me. But, when my relationship grew, I wanted to please HIM. I understood that GOD loves me, and there is nothing that I can do to make HIM stop loving me, so I stopped trying to appease him, and really without trying, started to please HIM. I say without trying, because these things came natural, it was no effort to please HIM, it was exciting and a joy.

You might be asking yourself, how do you please GOD? There were several concepts that came to mind; faith, Hebrews 11:6 bearing the fruit of the Spirit, and growing in Godly knowledge. Colossians 1:9-11 So where are YOU in your relationship with GOD? Appeasing or Pleasing HIM? Search books on Pleasing God.

Submit Your Prayer Request
Closing Prayer
Dear Jesus
Thank You for the time that we have with You and the things that You share when we take that time. Father I pray that hearts will be opened to find You. I pray that You will help me to be a guiding light for You and I pray that I am pleasing to You and that You will help me to long more and more everyday for a deeper relationship with You. Father I can not fight the fights by myself, I need You and I love You. Thank You for always being by my side.
I pray in Your heavenly Name, Amen.

If this devotional has blessed you, please Like or Tweet it and share with your friends and family :) Thank you & may God Bless you today.



Guaranteed Low Prices, Top Selling Products

No comments: