Friday, May 23, 2014

Is Revenge Wrong?

Is Revenge Wrong?


I do not know how I would react if I were in the same situation that Simeon and Levi where in. If my wife was raped, it would take everything that I have to try and let go and give it to the Lord.

God tells us that revenge is His, He will repay. (Leviticus 19:18, Romans 12:19 just to name two) Revenge is a hard thing to let go of, we want to see justice done and it done quickly. I feel the reason that God wants to take the responsibility of revenge, is that revenge can eat you up, it can consume you, so that all you are thinking about is getting that person back. The more times you are thinking of those thoughts, the less time you are focused on God. If you do fast forward to Genesis 49:5-7 at the time of Israel's death, he cursed Simeon and Levi.

"Simeon and Levi are brothers;Their swords are implements of violence.
Let my soul not enter into their council;
Let not my glory be united with their assembly;
Because in their anger they slew men,
And in their self-will they lamed oxen.
"Cursed be their anger, for it is fierce;
And their wrath, for it is cruel.
I will disperse them in Jacob,
And scatter them in Israel."

If there is someone that has wronged you and you are holding on to that baggage, I would encourage you to give it to God. I know that it is not easy, but you will feel a weight lifted.

Genesis 34:24-31 
All the men who went out of the city gate agreed with Hamor and his son Shechem, and every male in the city was circumcised.
Three days later, while all of them were still in pain, two of Jacob's sons, Simeon and Levi, Dinah's brothers, took their swords and attacked the unsuspecting city, killing every male. They put Hamor and his son Shechem to the sword and took Dinah from Shechem's house and left. The sons of Jacob came upon the dead bodies and looted the city where their sister had been defiled. They seized their flocks and herds and donkeys and everything else of theirs in the city and out in the fields. They carried off all their wealth and all their women and children, taking as plunder everything in the houses.
Then Jacob said to Simeon and Levi, "You have brought trouble on me by making me a stench to the Canaanites and Perizzites, the people living in this land. We are few in number, and if they join forces against me and attack me, I and my household will be destroyed."But they replied, "Should he have treated our sister like a prostitute?"

Need Prayer? Submit Your Requests

No comments: