Tuesday, April 30, 2013

What Is Your Thorn?




What is Your Thorn?

2 Corinthians 12:7-10
"To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

Thought for the Day
This passage of scripture has always intrigued me. I have always wondered what was Paul's thorn? Some believe that is was a physical affliction; maybe malaria, epilepsy, or a disease of the eyes (See Galatians 4:13-15). 

We can learn several facts just by taking the passage at face value, and not reading anything into it. We know: 
We know that this affliction was from satan.
God allowed satan to give it to Paul.
It tormented Paul.
Paul pleaded with Christ to remove it.... 3 times.
Christ did not remove it.

As Christians we want our lives free from trouble and stress. Sometimes when things do not go our way, we become focused and let the problem stop us and hinder our relationship with Christ.

Paul, in my opinion, was one of the most influential "Christians" of the world. God allowed satan to give this "thorn" to Paul. It tormented him, and Christ would not remove it, in fact Christ's answer is "I am enough for you, find your strength in Me, and through your weakness, you will glorify Me."

Our Christian walk is never easy, our joy and happiness is found in Christ. I am sure there are going to be a lot of "thorns" in your life, hopefully none as bad as what Paul had to endure. But, we can't let the "thorns" hinder our relationship, we need to find our strength in Christ. If you are going through a "Thorn" have you let it stop you? Is satan winning, DO NOT LET HIM. Christ's grace is enough for you, and He is waiting to give it to you.



No comments: