Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Are You Stressed Out Trying To Do It All?



Insight Into the Scriptures - Exodus 17-19
In verses 18:1-2 Jethro was the priest of ????. Most likely he was not a priest of the Yahweh. Proof might lie where he and Moses are talking, Jethro then recognizes Yahweh as greater than all other Gods (v 18:11)Moses and company reached Sinai three months after leaving Egypt around June. Consecration ones self would usually entail washing and avoiding things that would make them unclean.

In Chapter 19 notice how God is trying to set His people apart. God stepped up to the plate, showed Himself to the Israelites, fought fiercely for them. Now all He asks in return is to "Obey Me" and "Keep my Covenants". Seems pretty easy does it not?


Exodus 18:13-18
"The next day Moses took his seat to serve as judge for the people, and they stood around him from morning till evening. When his father-in-law saw all that Moses was doing for the people, he said, "What is this you are doing for the people? Why do you alone sit as judge, while all these people stand around you from morning till evening?"Moses answered him, "Because the people come to me to seek God's will. Whenever they have a dispute, it is brought to me, and I decide between the parties and inform them of God's decrees and laws.
"Moses' father-in-law replied, "What you are doing is not good. You and these people who come to you will only wear yourselves out. The work is too heavy for you; you cannot handle it alone."

Thought for the Day
Jethro is one wise man, isn't he? We really are not told much about Moses' Father-in-law. He comes to visit Moses and has some very wise words, then he went on his way, but he left Moses with some great boundaries and leadership advise. God wants to make a point very clear to us, He does not want you to do it ALL.

Whether you are serving in Church or activities you choose to be in. If you are stresses out, tired, discouraged, and losing interest, you are doing too much. God does not expect or want you to do it all. I know some people will use the excuse that they are doing the Lord's work, so they work themselves to the bone, get discouraged and fall into sin or become ineffective for Him. Living a life in Christ is living a life of Freedom, not chains.

Serving Christ is awesome and I think necessary, but you need to draw boundaries; yes, there is that word; boundaries. You need time for your family or friends, yourself, and God Time. One on One alone time. I would say to examine yourself to see if you are maxed out, but I bet you know in your heart if you are. Listen to your heart and Christ, live freely.

Closing Prayer
Dear Jesus,
Thank you for the fresh morning air you allow me to breathe, I am grateful that I am part of this beautiful earth You have made for us. Father help me to know my boundaries, help me to know my passion to help your kingdom and my boundaries to not do too much. I love you and know that without you I am nothing.
In Your Name,
Amen

Bible Trivia
An epistle is a
a) Letter
b) Book
c) Novel
d) Wife of an Apostle


No comments: